Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deleting oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Deleting oil cooler

I did some searching but didn't come up with anything. I have an 02 and have a little seepage from the connection to the line and cooler which I know Is common. Since the coolers were deleted later on anyway it would seem simple to delete the whole thing and be done instead of spending money on new lines etc. From what I read the cooler really doesn't change much in the way of temps to begin with. I plan to just get some plugs for the timing cover etc and be done. Is there any difference in covers from the discos equipped with coolers vs those without. I believe the later models were just plugged anyway.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Same cover design, just plugs.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Cool ill just grab some plugs and get rid of the cooler. Nice and simple.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by usaf_disco
I did some searching but didn't come up with anything. I have an 02 and have a little seepage from the connection to the line and cooler which I know Is common. Since the coolers were deleted later on anyway it would seem simple to delete the whole thing and be done instead of spending money on new lines etc. From what I read the cooler really doesn't change much in the way of temps to begin with. I plan to just get some plugs for the timing cover etc and be done. Is there any difference in covers from the discos equipped with coolers vs those without. I believe the later models were just plugged anyway.
Engine Oil Temp & Engine Coolant Temp's are totally different beast. An oil cooler will certainly help cool your engine oil. Deleting it would be turning your D2 into an 03-04 setup which is IMHO the least reliable of the D2 era. They didn't honestly care all that much about improving the 215 based V8, and they got cheap since the LR3 was already in the works and about to be released.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Three Wheeling

Any data on what the deltas are between equipped discos and non equipped? I prefer to have a cooler but if we are only talking about a few degrees then eliminating a leak point seems smart. My coolant temps are 180's so it wouldn't surprise me if the few degrees of added oil temp might creep over into the coolant temp.

I'm not against replacing the seal or lines if its cost effective. I would just have to dig around for some part numbers and info.

Last edited by usaf_disco; 05-18-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Three Wheeling

I dug this up on the forums.

So I finally got the my oil temp gauge installed and got some numbers before and after installing the thermostat mod.

Before Mod (outside around 90-95F):
Idle - ~200F Oil Temp
Highway - ~220F

After Mod (Outside 95-100F):
Idle - ~180
Highway - ~220F

Oil temp even hit 240F while going up I-70 out of Denver into the Mtns (for those that dont know its about 7-10 miles of steep grade)

Anyone else have oil temp numbers? 220F running at 55mph-75mph down the highway is way too hot if you ask me (95-100F outside...pretty much the story of the country for the past month)... i thought the oil cooler mod was going to be over kill but now i am wonder why the hell they deleted it on 4.6...

(Rad fluid was flushed and changed with Peak - Global and a bottle of water wetter; 75K 2003 D2 4.6)

Update:

I installed a used oil cooler and lines from a 4.0, bolted right on. Had to essentially release the radiator from the front so that the radiator could be pushed back toward the fan and the cooler could be dropped in. Really not a bad job...the biggest pain was routing the cooler lines...they have to go in exactly the right place or they wont slide in allowing the nut to be tightened...couldn't find a good diagram in the RAVE but managed to get them on...took about the same time as installing the cooler.

So far not too impressed with the results... I just got it in last night and went for a cruise, oil temp went up to 200-204F with the outside air around 80F, cruising on the highway 60-65 AC off.

This morning was a little better 176-180 with outside air around 70F and traveling slightly slower.

I was shocked to see it get above 200 last night...i really expected it to make a huge difference...and ideally i want my oil around 180...

I need to gather some more data but am i missing something here?

Anyone have oil temp numbers to compare?

Old 05-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

I dug this up on the forums.

So I finally got the my oil temp gauge installed and got some numbers before and after installing the thermostat mod.

Before Mod (outside around 90-95F):
Idle - ~200F Oil Temp
Highway - ~220F

After Mod (Outside 95-100F):
Idle - ~180
Highway - ~220F

Oil temp even hit 240F while going up I-70 out of Denver into the Mtns (for those that dont know its about 7-10 miles of steep grade)

Anyone else have oil temp numbers? 220F running at 55mph-75mph down the highway is way too hot if you ask me (95-100F outside...pretty much the story of the country for the past month)... i thought the oil cooler mod was going to be over kill but now i am wonder why the hell they deleted it on 4.6...

(Rad fluid was flushed and changed with Peak - Global and a bottle of water wetter; 75K 2003 D2 4.6)

Update:

I installed a used oil cooler and lines from a 4.0, bolted right on. Had to essentially release the radiator from the front so that the radiator could be pushed back toward the fan and the cooler could be dropped in. Really not a bad job...the biggest pain was routing the cooler lines...they have to go in exactly the right place or they wont slide in allowing the nut to be tightened...couldn't find a good diagram in the RAVE but managed to get them on...took about the same time as installing the cooler.

So far not too impressed with the results... I just got it in last night and went for a cruise, oil temp went up to 200-204F with the outside air around 80F, cruising on the highway 60-65 AC off.

This morning was a little better 176-180 with outside air around 70F and traveling slightly slower.

I was shocked to see it get above 200 last night...i really expected it to make a huge difference...and ideally i want my oil around 180...

I need to gather some more data but am i missing something here?

Anyone have oil temp numbers to compare?
I have thought about putting in an oil cooler. This is discouraging, but where do you have the oil temp gauge located?

Old 05-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Three Wheeling

That was all copy paste from another thread on this forum in regards to temp. I don't have an oil temp gauge on my rig.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

I just used some hydraulic hose and clamped it over the aluminum nipple sticking out of my cooler

Old 05-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Any data on what the deltas are between equipped discos and non equipped? I prefer to have a cooler but if we are only talking about a few degrees then eliminating a leak point seems smart. My coolant temps are 180's so it wouldn't surprise me if the few degrees of added oil temp might creep over into the coolant temp.

I'm not against replacing the seal or lines if its cost effective. I would just have to dig around for some part numbers and info.
There is a O-ring on the cooler pipe where it plugs into the cooler. You probably just need to replace that next time you change the oil.

Quick Reply: Deleting oil cooler