Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denver area drive shaft rebuild shops?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Denver area drive shaft rebuild shops?

I posted earlier this fall about the chirping coming from under the truck... It seems to have become worse.
Chirps badly with the first drive of the day...
As posted earlier, if I take the truck out of gear... To neutral the chirp slowly goes away as I coast down the street. Engine rev in neutral do nothing to effect the noise. I know it is nothing to do with the engine.
I have been noticing some vibration while at higher speeds.
Visually, the rubber boot at the forward end of the shaft is split and would require replacing. Greased regularly, even between oil changes!
I replaced the original shaft with a serviceable one about 50,000 miles ago.
My main question is this (as the post title suggests), where in Denver would you drop the shaft off for rebuild? I see several in my initial google search.
Would you even rebuild / balance this shaft or just buy a new one? How much should I be willing to pay for mine to be reconditioned? I know a new one will run me about $350.
Thanks.
Mike, I know you are in Denver Any suggestions?

Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Look/search for "driveline" on white + yellow pages.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Mike I have no clue what prices are there in Denver, but a new drive shaft from me will run you $300 delivered to your door step. I even include the 8 ny-lock nuts that you need to replace when changing the drive shaft. The chirp is a sure sign that it is going bad. The roto-flex on the rear diff will also cause vibration if its worn.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Denver area drive shaft rebuild shops?-img_0167.jpg
The photo of the damaged rubber boot.
I also noted that this shaft did not have the zirc installed on the shaft itself. Just the ones on each of the U joints. 4 total. There is only an allen nut where I could add a zinc? or is the shaft already at the point of no return? Something tells me that adding to grease to an already chirping shaft is only looking for trouble in the near future.
Brett

lr2001silver, That was a call for DiscoMikes local opinion on a good shop..
I will consider your option... see what local rebuild deals are. thanks for your reply and opinions.
Brett

Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I've used both Englewood Driveshaft and Front Range Driveline - would recommend either shop. There's a shop that advertises on CL from time to time for a DII shaft for $350 (found one: *****Remanufactured Land Rover Discovery front shaft*****) - it's Colorado Drive Shaft. Haven't personally used them, so I can't recommend.

If that allen nut is in the female side of the spline/slip joint, then I'd say you could put a grease fitting there (some go with a needle style versus standard grease fitting to reduce the chances of it getting damaged).

Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks Jimmy,
It sounds like if I dont have mine rebuilt, LR2001silver is the best deal going, with a solid product. Hopefully make a decision over the weekend.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CANAMDiscovery
Thanks Jimmy,
It sounds like if I dont have mine rebuilt, LR2001silver is the best deal going, with a solid product. Hopefully make a decision over the weekend.
Not a problem.

LR2001silver - Do you have some specs for your driveshaft? Parts mfgrs, joint size, etc.? Everyone raves about it, but I can't recall seeing any specs. FWIW, I'm just curious as I have no need for a DII driveshaft.