Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperate for help

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate for help

Hello,

I have a late 99 Disco II and yesterday my battery was dead (2 week old battery), I boosted it with no problems and took it over to a shop to replace the muffler.

The shop called me today saying that they can't get the truck started, it cranks but doesn't turn over. I went in an the M & S lights are blinking and when you move the gear stick into Drive the D light flashes.

The truck cranks well but it won't start. I have put in a battery recently and the shop believes the battery is fine. I have no idea, and we have checked the wiring and fuses and everything.

I am so stuck with this that I don't know where to begin. I just bought a new exhaust for it and now this.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Check your negative lead.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
Check your negative lead.
Yup, or your alternator took a crap. Your voltage output is too low.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Your security inter=lock has most likely locked you out.
Before you do anything, get the battery fully charged. Chances are, once you get past the security system, you will most likely find your alternator is not keeping your battery charged.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Your security inter=lock has most likely locked you out.
Before you do anything, get the battery fully charged. Chances are, once you get past the security system, you will most likely find your alternator is not keeping your battery charged.
The security system seems fine, I can lock and unlock the truck with the keys and have no problems I remember once being locked.

The shop said they charged the battery and the battery test showed up good. The weird part is that if you plug in the scanner, you will not get a connection, and that is what I haven't seen many people relate to this issue.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Look for a blown fuse. And hope any arc welding at the exhaust place did not fry a sensitive compfuser on board.

Last edited by Externet; 07-23-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sDot
The security system seems fine, I can lock and unlock the truck with the keys and have no problems I remember once being locked.

The shop said they charged the battery and the battery test showed up good. The weird part is that if you plug in the scanner, you will not get a connection, and that is what I haven't seen many people relate to this issue.
I'm putting money on the fact you have a faulty alternator. When the alternator quits producing voltage all together you will get a code, I forgotten the P0# but it basically means it cannot establish a connection to the ECU.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

But sDot stated it cranks well.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Mudding

So here is where I am.
  1. It cranks well but won't turn over
  2. There is no engine light
  3. The battery, oil light and red dot above the temperature reading stay on.
  4. When you plug in the scanner it says that there is no connection
  5. The M & S Lights are blinking and when you put it into Drive the D blinks as well.
  6. Other than changing the battery maybe 2 weeks ago there are no other issues.
  7. The truck has been mainly used to go maybe 50 miles distance at most per week
with no offroading or driving through lakes or anything of that nature.

The exhaust recently broke off from the muffler because the previous owner was a cheap skate so I had taken it in to the mechanic to put on a new everything from the muffler back, but when they wen to start the truck to move it to a different bay it would't start and this started happening.

I wanted to take the battery back to where I bought it for extensive testing and a replacement, but the shop is adamant that it's the ECU.

Prior to this there have been no problems indicating that the ECU was going bad or about to fail.

We have tested pretty much all the fuses, however the 40A one under the seat doesn't seem to work.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Mudding

I don't have a key fob, but I remember last year having an issue and being locked out, and I had to take off a panel on the drivers side a short a wire to reset the alarm or something but this has completely different symptoms.

and I have a brand spanking new exhaust on my floor waiting to be put in.

Quick Reply: Desperate for help