Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dexcool... Is it cool to keep running Dexcool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dexcool... Is it cool to keep running Dexcool?

I don't mind the extra dollars the stuff.
I am under the impression Rovers like Dexcool coarsing through its veins?
I heard that some people change it over.
Hoping this doesn't create a huge debate, after all it is coolant... Right?

Last edited by CANAMDiscovery; 01-26-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The problems come with it being run way too long without flush, with users along the way adding other coolant to the Dexcool, and some chemical reactions that take place. The effect is formation of a sludge in the cooling system. Here's a pix. Also, GM has a TSB on how to remove it (run engine for hours warm with strong flush); there are also compatible coolants (Amsoil?) that can be added without a complete flush. And your indy rad shop can hot flush it. When tinkering with radiator the small nipple fittings are quite easy to snap off. Also don't forget to reverse flush the heater core (no valve, always flowing).

Doing a partial flush, if you have sludge left in the system, and adding generic green coolant, you still get a sludge reaction and reduced cooling. And the sludge is everywhere in some cases.

Attached Thumbnails Dexcool... Is it cool to keep running Dexcool?-dex-cool-2.jpg   Dexcool... Is it cool to keep running Dexcool?-dex-cool-3.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dexcool flush.pdf (116.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: pdf
d2 cooling layout.pdf (952.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Yje other, more important issue with using Dexcool, it will dissolve the T/stat as well as the coolant pressure cap.
Get rid of it and go to a safer, less harmful coolant like Peak. Also, flush the old coolant out with a couple gallons od distilled water and when done add a bottle of Water Wetter or Purple Ice to improve your cooling systems ability to disapate heat faster.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure it doesn't turn acidic. Been running it in my disco since new and its at 136k and its still clean. I change it every 2 years. Ran it in my Jeep since new as well. It was still running strong with over 200k on it. So just keep an eye on it. If it turns acidic it will gaskets, aluminum, etc..

Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you change your coolant every 24k miles or two years it will not hurt a thing. Dexcool is actually less corosive then the green stuff and less harfull when disposed of. The problem with it lies in the fact that most people dont change their coolant when they are supposed too and the green stuff tends to last longer in a non acidic state in neglected vehicles. The land rovers forums are about the only place on the net that say dex-cool is bad blaming for headgasket failures on the d2s because the d1s had less failures and used green coolant. This ignores the fact that d1s run cooler because their thermostat is located on the block and not out in space. Dex-cool will not dissolve anything, I would challange anyone who says it does to post some pics up of such events, BUT do not mix dexcool with any other coolant or you will get sludge.