Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dexcool...Is corcorarun Dexcool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dexcool...Is corcorarun Dexcool?

I don't mind the extra dollars the stuff.
I am under the impression Rovers like Dexcool coarsing through its veins?
I heard that some people change it over.
Hoping this doesn't create a huge debate, after all it is just coolant.

Noticing coolant re

Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Do you and your truck a favor and flush out the old Dexcool and go to one of the better yelloe or green coolants like Peak. Change your t/stat and coolant pressure cap out at the same time cause Dexcool, over time , will eat them both up, causing overheating.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
...Change your t/stat and coolant pressure cap out at the same time cause Dexcool, over time , will eat them both up, causing overheating.
I can attest to Disco Mike's statement - when I did my flush and swap this summer the plastic holding the o-ring for the cap was cracking off. I went a little extra and replaced most of the hose clamps too.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get rid of Dex.

We just had to have the intake manifold gasket on one of our work trucks replaced because the Dex had eaten away at the gasket.

---

Now, onto the title of this thread, what the eff does corcorarun mean, or was that just an epic typo?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I'm new here so please excuse my inexperience to this sort of "thread".
I was researching the Dex-Cool coolant today (as I am looking at an '04 SE7 tonight!) just through GOOGLE and this older thread popped up. It is enough for me for me to decide even before I buy my Disco!!!
Copy and paste below:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-repair-27657/

Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You can buy a vehicle with dexcool installed and remove it. If the radiator can't be flushed out (too much sludge) it is a $200 - $300 part. Keep that in mind when negotiating. The part you highlighted is like $25. There are ways to get most of the dexcool sludge out, if the vehicle has it.

On the down side, most Disco's don't need an excuse to overheat. So the Dexcool just takes that up another notch.

Attached Thumbnails Dexcool...Is corcorarun Dexcool?-dex-cool-2.jpg   Dexcool...Is corcorarun Dexcool?-dex-cool-3.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dexcool flush.pdf (116.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another thing that helps

After doing what Disco said about flushing a couple of times with distilled water, do this. Put a 1/2 gallon of white vinegar in there and top it off with distilled water. Run it for about 10-15 minutes at idle with the heater on full blown. Drain it and watch the crap come on out. Vinegar works great in aluminum engines to remove calcium chlorides and aluminum oxides that these motors create, particularly if using that GM crap. Use the green stuff.

I will get flack for this, but trust me it works. Take an old piece of aluminum and dump some vinegar on it and see how well it cleans it up. And no, it will not harm gaskets/seals.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased my Discovery used and until recently never thought about the orange Dexcool being a negative thing. Did Rovers come from the factory with Dexcool?
If so, could this not be a reawithout the issues with these trucks is the head gaskets going out early?
I have a leak...been told from the valley gasket at the rear of the motor. This may be a good time to do a flush. Disco Mike recommends Peak. I will see if I can find some.
Assume somewhere in the rave manual I can find how to flush the system.
Cheers, always good insight here!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

In land Rovers infinite wisdom there is no drain plug on the radiator you must pull the bottom hose to drain the system. Drain it, fill with distilled water and run, repeat until everything comes out clear. There are commercial flushing agents you can buy, but unless you suspect that some has put a sealer in the system they are not necessary, I like the vinegar suggestion someone made earlier. I would replace the thermostat while you are there, it undoubtedly will get clogged with all the flushing.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

here's where stat will clog, metering holes that bring hot coolant to trigger the remote stat. Also while flushing, reverse flush the heater hoses as well. Flow chart attached so you can check all the hoses, etc. Be careful of small plastic nipple fitting on radiator - they are very brittle.

Attached Thumbnails Dexcool...Is corcorarun Dexcool?-land%252520rover%252520thermostat%252520005.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cooling layout.pdf (952.8 KB, 132 views)