Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosing my own vibration, would this work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Phillips
Sweet Baby Jesus, that sounds like a Darwin award waiting to happen.

You might not like Disco Mike's answer, but he is right. You need to go about your diagnostic logically and carefully.

Start at the Engine and work your way "out". You say it's at speed, so it has to be the tranny or back. If it vibrates at 25-40 mph have you tried a lower/higher gear to see if it goes away? 25mph you can drive in low range, did you try driving it up to 25-30mph with low range engaged? Did the vibration go away?

You have a new front propshaft, which if I remember correctly from you previous posts is professionally rebuilt. It's probably safe to say it's ok. What about the rear propshaft though? Have you greased it recently? What about the rotoflex joint? Does it look jacked up? They are made of rubber, they dry out and cause all sorts of weird vibrations.

Assuming propshafts check out, the last on the list is to look at the axles. For that though I would recommend working from the tire in. Are the tires new? Not bald? Recently rotated and balanced? Lugnuts look ok? How do the rotors and brakes look? Do you have play in the wheel bearings? With the tire off the ground try to shake it back and forth hard as you can, any play = bad bearings = bad vibrations.

Throwing random parts out there and guessing what the problem is gets costly fast.

Umm... That's exactly what I'm trying to do.. I'm working logically, and I'm not throwing parts at everything. I bought into the driveshaft paranoia, on the front not knowing how old the u joints were I replaced them, then replaced driveshaft.

I know it's not the motor. Does it in low too. Actually this world would work in theory it would be the best solution, it would show me specifically, from front to back left to right exactly what is vibrating,

Old 09-22-2012, 07:07 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Inspect motor and trans mounts for degradation. Replace as necessary.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

have a look at replacing motor and trans mounts... REALLY inspect the roto-flex. take it off and look. Just remember to replace the nyla lock nuts. The consistency leads me to believe it is NOT the axles... Do you have a lift ? have you updated or replaced the steering stabilizer? keep us posted..you will figure it out.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I dont know if there is a fuse you can pull or not, I'm sure there is but I dont know what else it controls.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got a day off tomorrow, so ill mess around with it, rotifer has some surface cracks like its a little dry but nothing really protruding. I am not about to throw time and money replacing stuff guessing. It's going to a driveline shop Monday. They'll diagnose I'll probably fix it.

I will say its doing it only under load or acceleration, so it's not tires. Also the vibration moves, it startes in the floor moves to the steering wheel and then to my butt, while accelerating. It's just SO annoying, I'm in 600$ right now and I have an exhaust leak somewhere from the first shaft going kaboom. I'm ready to be done with this and waste the money on gas lifts and tires.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:50 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I would take the rover to a performance garage.
Have them jack it up on a 4 point jack getting all wheels off the road.
Then, with someone in the rover - when it is jacked up - start it
and observe the vibration with no load on the wheels.
If it is the drive shaft unbalanced - it should still happen.
And, then someone can put their hand on the transfer case or the transmission to feel for vibration.

Of course, this is not without risks.