Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic tool comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by batard
Here's a quick comparison between various diagnostic tool options. Anyone have experience with these?

* iCarsoft multi-system tool $180

This says it can read engine, transmission, ABS, etc. codes, can cycle ABS solenoids (I assume that means it can bleed through the ABS). It can't do any "programming and actuator" functions. I assume by programming, they mean it can't program keyfobs and so on, but I'm not sure what actuator functions refer to.

* Hawkeye tool $500

Says it can read and clear all fault codes, and can do actuators. It can do ECM programming "with some applications," but I'm not sure what that means it can't do. It appears to be a bit more feature-rich than the iCarsoft option, but the GUI is pretty primitive.

* Lynx Diagnostic System $600

Seems to do just about everything, including programming and actuators, but requires a Windows laptop and has an old-school serial connection that many modern laptops don't have. That seems like a pretty big drawback.

* Nanocom Evolution $343

People use this a lot to reprogram keyfobs, and it seems to have the ability to read a selection of codes and clear them. You can play with its interface using this emulator. It seems less full-featured than the Hawkeye or Lynx beyond the ability to program, unless I'm missing something.

Any thoughts on which is best/worst regardless of price, or which gives the best bang for buck?
Hi Batard, I have to be honest I haven't experience on some of those systems. But, I have a Lynx hooked up to a Linx 10" tablet and it works fine for everything.

The only other system I would buy, and I did a lot of research, is the Hawkeye.

The Nanocom is owned by a small company who were unhelpful when I spoke to them but they had chenged hands once or twice in the past five years so I discounted them.

The Lynx has the same software produced by Omitec that LR use in their Text Book system and Lynx are Britpart which is part of a huge group of aftermarket suppliers, namely, Bearmach, Allmakes and Britpart. The LR indies tend to use the pro Lynx system which makes me even more confident of it's capabilities.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:04 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you know the SDD JLR can do everything testbook can do and further. It's newer LR dealer sw. So whatever the dealer can do you can do the same

Thanks
Frankie

Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDash
Just so you know the SDD JLR can do everything testbook can do and further. It's newer LR dealer sw. So whatever the dealer can do you can do the same

Thanks
Frankie
Frankie,
Can you point where to find them? For discovery? Is that the specific model? How much are those? Might be same as the testbook cost.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

I've used the Lynx for a few days now. I like having the larger screen. The live data feels lacking though... there aren't as many things to monitor as I was expecting. Some weird things like the "Desired Idle RPM" is always the same as the current RPM. There's also no manual. It would be nice if there was documentation into each function, what data to expect, how to compare it, diagnose, etc. Resetting codes is a little annoying (have to cycle ignition, restart connection)

Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

If a company could make an app/program that incorporates the Lynx, Hawkeye and Launch, a USB to OBDII/WIFI/Bluetooth connection for use on an iPad/Tablet for a considerate amount of money and make it Land Rover specific, I would definitely buy it.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
If a company could make an app/program that incorporates the Lynx, Hawkeye and Launch, a USB to OBDII/WIFI/Bluetooth connection for use on an iPad/Tablet for a considerate amount of money and make it Land Rover specific, I would definitely buy it.
Word. Lynx is hinting at an Android/iOS app coming soon: Lynx Diagnostics

Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Well I'll probally get that then

Old 03-24-2017, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
The Lynx currently works on an android tablet but not wifi only hardwired.

IMO it is far easier to use on a tablet with a removable keyboard and I certainly wouldn't want to use it on a mobile android phone.

Any LR specific app that Britpart produce will no doubt will be for high end trucks and not 15 to 18 year old D2's.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the Autel 619 for about $120 on Amazon. It cleared the 3 amigos and was super easy. I m really happy i bought it. I was tired of bothering local shops to reset the system to find out was still having issues. I am still trouble shooting the why after replacing all 4 hubs, all new solid wire speed sensors, shuttle valve rebuild, braided lines, new slabs, pads and rotors. I am still having the right rear tire T/C activate. I think i will get new calipers too. Any ideas as to what could be the issue.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Philip Schoenauer
I just bought the Autel 619 for about $120 on Amazon. It cleared the 3 amigos and was super easy. I m really happy i bought it. I was tired of bothering local shops to reset the system to find out was still having issues. I am still trouble shooting the why after replacing all 4 hubs, all new solid wire speed sensors, shuttle valve rebuild, braided lines, new slabs, pads and rotors. I am still having the right rear tire T/C activate. I think i will get new calipers too. Any ideas as to what could be the issue.
Hi

I assume you mean by T/C = traction control? The traction control operates via the SLABS using the same wheel sensors as the ABS system. So if yours is throwing a rear wheel fault code persistently it is likely to be a defective wheel sensor or a loose wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: Diagnostic tool comparison