Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnotic Codes Not in RAVE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 12:47 PM
cta
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Diagnotic Codes Not in RAVE?

I sold off my 95 LWB RRC back in 2014 when I moved across the country and had been itching to get back in a Landy ever since which is what leads us to today.

I found a 99 Disco II out here in SD a few months back, which while being in rough shape hit all the wickets for a fun project. Coolant was disappearing and it was running terribly, but 5 minutes with a flashlight showed a bad throttle body gasket and that there was a hole in the intake tube between the MAF and air plenum. With both of those fixed I got into the real nuts and bolts of the car's issues.

I was getting a misfire cylinder 1 code, misfire random cylinders, MAF error P0101, and 2 evap emission codes. Checked compression on cylinder 1, no problems so I made the call it was probably an ignition coil. Replaced the suspected ignition coil and cleaned the MAF sensor. Misfire codes went away and I was a happy camper. Off the top of my head I can't remember the name, but I also replaced the evap part on the left side of the engine that controls venting into the plenum for p0453 and p0447. Didn't correct the problem so I’ll be replacing the gas gap at some point.

Fast forward a few weeks and it started to throw a cylinder 1 injector circuit open code, cylinder 1 misfire, random cylinder misfire, MAF P0101, P0141 bank 1 O2 sensor 2 heater malfunction, P0161 bank 2 O2 sensor 2 heater malfunction, and knock sensor. This time I replaced the MAF which cleared the misfires. Due to the codes coming and going I suspected a loose wire or bad ground. Discovered the clip which holds the relevant plug to the ECU was broken so correcting that seems to have also cleared the bank 2 O2 sensor issue and maybe the knock sensor.

I currently have the following codes P0141, P0447, P0453, P3200, C2100, C2103. I also have P0201 cylinder 1 injector open circuit fault as pending. I still have to try a new gas cap to address P0447, P0453. My question is really regarding P3200, C2100, and C2103. I can’t find any mention of these in RAVE and thought maybe somebody has seen them before, or seen them linked with some other issue. I also think I had a C7100 and C7103 code at one point. I momentarily got really excited by those cause they were very close to ground points listed in RAVE, but then none of them actually matched. Don’t know if OBD2 it can even that or if I was just wishfully thinking.

Other things I’ve worked on are the front drive shaft and I installed a D1 CDL linkage. There was a mess of wires on top of the transfer case that were flopping around so I zip tied them in place. Could one of these possibly be a culprit? Also this morning around 6 was the first time I’ve ever started the car in the morning. It started but the RPMs dropped very low and bounced around for about 20 seconds before returning to normal and running fine. I was thinking that some early morning condensation might have gotten somewhere, but I don’t know where that would be.

Any help would be appreciated or some direction for the codes not listed in RAVE. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM
cta
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has nobody else had any experience with weird codes being thrown, or any general thoughts on where one might go to figure out what they are or correct them?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Wow. What a project. I've never heard of those particular remaining codes, and I thought I'd had them all.

Maybe posting will keep your thread up where someone more knowledgeable will see it. I'm subscribing because I'd like to know the resolution.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by cta
I can’t find any mention of these in RAVE and thought maybe somebody has seen them before, or seen them linked with some other issue.

Has nobody else had any experience with weird codes being thrown, or any general thoughts on where one might go to figure out what they are or correct them?
Some of the DTC codes we may encounter are not in Rave and may not be applicable to our vehicles. Why odd ones pop up? I usually do a web search for odd codes adding Rover to it. C code info usually more difficult to find. If you can clear the odd ones and they don't return may want to discount as anomalies and concentrate on known codes/issues.

Your odd codes:
P3XXX Manufacturer Controlled and ISO/SAE Reserved

C2XXX Manufacturer Controlled

Link to a SAE code document in PDF.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3zZiDB07P_seDA

Last edited by number9; 07-14-2016 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Most likely the scanner is smart enough to talk to the land rover computers on the canbus (very primitive canbus on a D2, not like the fancy stuff going on in an LR3), but the scanner isn't smart enough to display what they mean.

P codes are powertrain codes and C codes are chassis codes, so I'm guessing the C codes are for ABS.

a Google for the P3200 show's that some BMW will set that for a canbus error. Since a D2 uses a computer very similar to some BMW, perhaps it's the same thing.