Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc McCoy
So I heard from the LR dealer this morning. They believe they have found the problem. They said they found a vacuum leak and they did a throttle adjustment. When I asked why it only showed the issue at start up in the morning they said it was due to it being cold and that there are two "loops" in the system. A closed loop and an open loop. They said once it got warmed up and operated on that loop (sorry don't know which one they said lol) that the engine was able to compensate for that. They are going to keep if for a few days and start it in the morning to see. Will keep you posted
Hmm. I don't quite understand that. The fuel system is probably what they are referring to. When the truck starts it is running a standard fuel program. After it checks to be sure all of the sensors are working and reading normally it closes and applies adaptive values rather that the stock program.

At least that's what I think. My scanner shows open then closed for fuel system status after I start it up, unless something is sqrt, ij which case it stays open and mileage/power plummet.

So I guess they are saying a vacuum leak caused it to run badly in open state then when in closed state the truck would compensate. Somehow.

If that's right I will be pleasantly confused and surprised.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:33 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well so far they say the bill is only $187 so we know there must be something else wrong lol

Old 10-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Just checking this topic out, glad they (LR) seems to have found the problem. A few pages back, someone recommended the..."cigar test"...which would have shown you the problem. Another good tool for an idle issue...is carb cleaner. Start engine and mist carb cleaner around the intake manifold, vacuum lines, etc, etc. If you notice any change in idle conditions...in a certain area...you've found an issue. Normally, if you have no codes...its something mechanical. So, in essences...checking out a running condition problem means going back to old-school techniques.

Hope your luck changes with your Discovery and she treats you right for a while.

Brian.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:40 AM
Three Wheeling

Hopefully it will treat me right long enough to get it to a dealer and trade it in. While it is a beast off road and in the snow it is a nightmare to keep running. I am done sinking money in a leaky boat. If I didn't at least want to re coup some of the money on it I would do this. Remember the scene in castaway where Hanks finally made fire and was running around the big fire. I would make a U tube video of the rover doing the same thing lol

Old 10-31-2016, 09:14 AM
Three Wheeling

Well land rover called this morning and they said it has started fine for the last three mornings so they do believe it is fixed. I will pick it up this afternoon and post again after a few days. Here's hoping lol

Old 10-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Three Wheeling

So I picked it up. Started correctly and dropped down to 750 idle correctly. Drove home fine (but it already drove fine lol). I will check for a few days and let you know if it is truely fixed. If so I will post exactly what they say they did to it so this thread can be completed.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:05 PM
Camel Trophy

So I picked it up. Started correctly and dropped down to 750 idle correctly. Drove home fine (but it already drove fine lol). I will check for a few days and let you know if it is truely fixed. If so I will post exactly what they say they did to it so this thread can be completed.
That's amazing. Congratulations on the fix! I guess dealerships can fix things after all.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:27 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Check the crank sensor.
Truck gets hot and the crank sensor could put out a distorted wave form and slow the engine down.

Crank sensor usually KILLS the engine when it malfunctions but..

Check the temp sensor too.

Put an OBDII scanner on the truck and look at the live readings.
Make sure the temp is reasonable on the OBD II scanner.

Also check the OBDII for pending codes.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Three Wheeling

Well like i figured the LR dealer did not fix the problem. Surprise surprise. It was worth a shot and didn't cost that much. So Next month I am trading it in on what I decide on. Thanks to all especially Charlie who tried to track down this elusive issue with me. Still runs fine just hard to start and I will and can live with that but I am done spending money and time on the beast lol.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Camel Trophy

Well like i figured the LR dealer did not fix the problem. Surprise surprise. It was worth a shot and didn't cost that much. So Next month I am trading it in on what I decide on. Thanks to all especially Charlie who tried to track down this elusive issue with me. Still runs fine just hard to start and I will and can live with that but I am done spending money and time on the beast lol.
Sorry we couldn't figure it out. The Rover gods are a fickle bunch. You probably made the mistake of bragging that your Rover was a fine machine one time, long ago. They punish you... I know from experience.