Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel conversion feasible in 03 Discovery??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Urban P I'm pretty sure I'm going to take this on. As far as Mike saying it can't be done I could put a diesel in my g37 if I wanted to. Doing anything to a vehicle is about time. Money isn't a big deal as something that lasts as long as this diesel should 10K or so isn't so huge of a deal (I'm not rich but I'm saying long term). Especially with diesel being cheaper than 93 here and the 10 or so MPG difference. I will probably make up that cost in 10 years of driving it without much problem and have a ton of fun/learn a lot in the process. My FJ is about finished and I'll use that as my fun vehicle while this is being done.

I must say that even though it isn't my dd in the last few months of owning my D2 it has gotten more miles on it than my other 2 working cars combined (FJ isn't quite complete yet).

Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Well I tried to catch my favorite district service rep, gone for the weekend.
I have always heard the were mechanical differences with the TD5 automatic, I'll call him again Monday.
As for the t/case, the only reason I mentioned that it might also need to be replaced was if you couldn't use a ZF box. Also, although not as important, the gear if slightly different and as long as it won't be doing any heavy wheeling that won't be a big issue.
So, yes, if he could get a TD5 engine, full harness both ECU and the fuel system, it can be possible, still alot of money to throw into a $6500 03 that will still need a CDL diff and linkage and if driven hard, 2 diff replacement to get past the 2 weak spider gears.
Be interesting to see what happens.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go for it, if you have the time, money and will power then DO IT MAN!!

The TD5 is a drop in for a DII, the 200TDI and 300TDI are drop ins for a DI.

Last edited by Spike555; 05-01-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 PM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Well I tried to catch my favorite district service rep, gone for the weekend.
I have always heard the were mechanical differences with the TD5 automatic, I'll call him again Monday.
As for the t/case, the only reason I mentioned that it might also need to be replaced was if you couldn't use a ZF box. Also, although not as important, the gear if slightly different and as long as it won't be doing any heavy wheeling that won't be a big issue.
So, yes, if he could get a TD5 engine, full harness both ECU and the fuel system, it can be possible, still alot of money to throw into a $6500 03 that will still need a CDL diff and linkage and if driven hard, 2 diff replacement to get past the 2 weak spider gears.
Be interesting to see what happens.
I'm not trying to disagree you or sound like an a-hole. I just really want to do this and I know it'll be a lot of time and work but I have had a lot of vehicles and I've fallen in love with my discovery. I know that I'm going to keep it for a long time and like I've said in the past every long trip scares me due to the oil pump issues. I am going to have to change the engine out soon anyway (it is making a repeated ping noise that quickens when the rpms go up that comes from the very front near the pump and I'm afraid the pump is about to go) and I'd much rather spend extra $ and have a relatively unique disco for the US and get WAY better mileage. Diesel is also about 10 cents cheaper than 93 where I'm at right now.

I really appreciate all your help and just wanted to say thanks for repeatedly checking in on things for me, helping me, and helping everyone else here. I know though that this will be a pretty big conversion. I'm only sad that my discovery will be probably sitting in my garage for about a month.

I'm going to replace the gears and differentials as well so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:12 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KBW, I think everybody on here wants to see you succeed with this conversion..we just want to make sure you know what you're getting into before hand. Good luck and keep us updated. If gas goes back to $4/gal and you keep the rover long enough the conversion will pay for itself.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Mudding

Save some bean on buying a new TD5 and get a slightly used or rebuilt one. Spend the rest on a good camera so you can document this whole process for us!

Old 05-02-2009, 03:11 AM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by rrhyne
Save some bean on buying a new TD5 and get a slightly used or rebuilt one. Spend the rest on a good camera so you can document this whole process for us!
Already have a good camera . New would be easier for me

Old 09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bump any updates?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes, here's one, "WHY"?????
First they have less power, fuel cost more and most states won't allow it to be registered.
Then there is the issue of what to do with the current tranny that is tied to a V-8 ECU, so now you have an issue of what to do to make a tranny work.
My favorite one though, is have you ever followed one of those gutless diesels on a long trail run???
Stay with your 4.0 or 4.6 you will be a lot happier and save thousands of dollars.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on, go for it. Post pics and results.

Quick Reply: Diesel conversion feasible in 03 Discovery??