Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diesel Engine?

So I have a 99 Disco. I live in VA. I get 11 mpg generally. I am getting used to it though . Still pretty ridiculous.

Does a diesel alternative exist? If so will it be a longer lasting engine? Can I get it in states? How much? Is it a POS. I have 100k on my truck and I'm sure at some point the engine will quit. At this point I am thinking going diesel. I figure the Disco is pretty timeless in regard to style so why not keep it on the road forever. Any

Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are rare here in the US. I would love to have one though.

Most your good diesel 4x4s here in the US are trucks (Ford, Chevy etc). Because that's all we have access too as a buyer for the most part.
________
Pov movie

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dev99disco
So I have a 99 Disco. I live in VA. I get 11 mpg generally. I am getting used to it though . Still pretty ridiculous.

Does a diesel alternative exist? If so will it be a longer lasting engine? Can I get it in states? How much? Is it a POS. I have 100k on my truck and I'm sure at some point the engine will quit. At this point I am thinking going diesel. I figure the Disco is pretty timeless in regard to style so why not keep it on the road forever. Any

its not worth it to do that conversion. you should be getting between 14-17mpg. so the questions remains when was the last time you did a major service on your truck?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This topic gets debated continuously on both the DII and DI threads. Really the only feasible option unless you have unlimited funds is to buy a rover diesel engine and put it your disco. And that will not really be cheap either. Just my opinion after debating this and researching for about 6 months.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default sell it

sell it and get a Di if you want to do a diesel conversion...A DII will only work with a TD5 and your looking at over 10 k for the conversion if you do all the labor yourself....Get a DI and you can do for half and get what you want. I am doing a DI as a project truck so will keep you updated. I talked to the only guy in the US who did a DII with TD5 and said 10k would be lowballing it.....

Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just about anything is possible with enough $$$ but as mentioned before not really feasible unless you put a lot of miles on your rover each year or plan on keeping in a VERY long time

Old 08-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Tune up your truck, use good premium gas, run your tires at 40 psi, keep the cruise set at 65mph on the highway, windows up and a/c on, no canoe's on the roof and no mother-in-laws in the back seat and you should be getting 15mpg as a daily driver.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Tune up your truck, use good premium gas, run your tires at 40 psi, keep the cruise set at 65mph on the highway, windows up and a/c on, no canoe's on the roof and no mother-in-laws in the back seat and you should be getting 15mpg as a daily driver.

Indeed, Spike. This past weekend I made a roughly 250 mile round trip. Speeds to the airport: 75-85 MPH. Speeds on the trip back from the airport: 65-75 MPH. Average miles per gallon for the entire trip: 17.4.

Tires are at 40PSI. Denso iridium plugs within the past 5k miles. New direct fit Bosch upstream oxygen sensors 2k miles ago. Phillips 66 91 octane gas ever since I've owned it (nobody sells 93 octane gas here).

Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default good advice

Originally Posted by Spike555

Good advice, but 15mpg is hummer mileage....it's downrite embarassing...it makes us part of the problem and not the solution...it's all about the middle east and the disaster in the gulf... Our unnerving addiction to oil.... we are are worst enemies.... maybe if i was 20 i could give a rats ***... but i seem to think more now... I am doing my own conversion as its the right thing to do.. It's possible and it will make a small impact that makes me feel good...and makes me happy..i dont need to run down the highway at 80 mph...if i did i would buy a porshe cayenne...thats what they are designed for not a discovery...i am not in such a hurry anymore these days.... Forget all the reasons the idiots in washington say that diesels are bad for the enviorment...there fu$cking idiots....

a properly chipped TDI 200 or 300 will get you 30 to 33 mpg if you buy it..if you use WVO its free...I drive 40k a year min so add it up...i will be saving losts of dollars and ...well ...i will spend more time on vacation with the extra cash then figuring out what i need to do to buy fu$cking fuel and fu$ck up the planet anymore than we already have........

Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Good advice, but 15mpg is hummer mileage....it's downrite embarassing...it makes us part of the problem and not the solution...it's all about the middle east and the disaster in the gulf... Our unnerving addiction to oil.... we are are worst enemies.... maybe if i was 20 i could give a rats ***... but i seem to think more now... I am doing my own conversion as its the right thing to do.. It's possible and it will make a small impact that makes me feel good...and makes me happy..i dont need to run down the highway at 80 mph...if i did i would buy a porshe cayenne...thats what they are designed for not a discovery...i am not in such a hurry anymore these days.... Forget all the reasons the idiots in washington say that diesels are bad for the enviorment...there fu$cking idiots....

a properly chipped TDI 200 or 300 will get you 30 to 33 mpg if you buy it..if you use WVO its free...I drive 40k a year min so add it up...i will be saving losts of dollars and ...well ...i will spend more time on vacation with the extra cash then figuring out what i need to do to buy fu$cking fuel and fu$ck up the planet anymore than we already have........
buy a ford fiesta or that new chevy volt and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Quick Reply: Diesel Engine?