Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 10 years..

Originally Posted by discomedic4
Using your numbers it would be stupid to do the conversion if you were going to get rid of the disco in 3-5 years. But what if you kept it for 10+ years. Now you are talking serious savings as the diesel will go far longer than the gas engine. Say you put 10-15K per year on your disco and you swap in a TDI with 100,000 miles on it and run it to 300-350K. I don't know about you but that doesn't seem like it is such a waste at that point. Plus I would argue that the TDI has some advantages off road (especially when wading). Not saying you are wrong just playing devil's advocate here. It is not a cheap swap by any means but not completely worthless.

10 years...i'll keep it 20....well..i gues i'll dye with it or visa versa...

Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Lol

Originally Posted by Spike555
Keep us posted on this Vandev.

My wife rolled her eyes when i bought it...

Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're lucky my wife would literally kill me. I mean kill brother.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default oh yea..

It is a Mercedes TD5, I have the exact same engine in my Sprinter.
172,000 miles and the engine blew up, $12,000 later my van was running again.
Mercedes, during their Mopar years, had the lowest quality rating of any car, including domestics.

These guys do some real expedition rigs...they also work with kieth at rover tracks...

http://pangaea-expeditions.com/?p=612

Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default yes you are again correct

Originally Posted by timdunbar
These aren't my numbers, this is just what I have heard on this board (from Vandev I might add), I have done a little bit of research on my own, but not actually getting prices. These are of course my local fuel prices, $3 for brand name premium, $4 for brand name diesel. I also didn't mean to say that a diesel conversion is stupid, hell no, not even remotely stupid, I want one so bad I can taste it. All I am saying is that you don't do a diesel conversion to save money.

Yes you are correct...they where based on a TD5 in a DII though and the international diesel conversion kit.... That conversion has only been done one time by kieth at rover tracks... It is extremely time consuming with wiring , computers and a pressurized fuel system...If i had a extra 10k i could just light on fire i would do it...but i dont....

What i am doing is getting a DI...much lighter truck...a TDI 200 or 300..which you can get for under a grand...r380 auto gearbox and transfer case...insturment cluster and wiring harness and etc. just about the hole front clip minus all the crap i dont need. and shipped on a pallet...

My goal is basicly to say to goverment, LR, and all involved to prevent me form having a diesel LR in the us, is " FU$CK YOU"!! along with driving for free like my friend in his TD mercedes that hasnt paid for fuel in 4 years...

Tired of funding terrorists, and lobbiest...i am cutting them off.....Plus i can take it anywhere in the world ......

Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Lol

Originally Posted by timdunbar
You're lucky my wife would literally kill me. I mean kill brother.

Well it's only 500 bucks for the truck....i pretty much stay out of trouble ..ie ...no tity bars, late night bar hopping, do about whatever she ask's..... so i get to live.....plus its a green project so she;s all for it...

one condition though,,,i have to finish my 04 engine rebuild first or no project...she thinks i am getting attached to her Volvo...which i am...i love driving that thing...just cant get use to no lights on the dash and the aircon is a freezer box...

Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You get the swap down and we will start marketing these swaps.
Urban Panzer can keep us supplied in engines and tranny's, you build them and I'll sell them.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default thats the plan

You get the swap down and we will start marketing these swaps.
Urban Panzer can keep us supplied in engines and tranny's, you build them and I'll sell them.

thats the plan..when i get ready for the final engine drop in, you are welcome to come down and help...will put the family at the sati on the beach and turn it into a mini vacation.... well you can con them with that lame *** story.....how can they complain though...the'll be on the beach all day and well..will work half days...

Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
thats the plan..when i get ready for the final engine drop in, you are welcome to come down and help...will put the family at the sati on the beach and turn it into a mini vacation.... well you can con them with that lame *** story.....how can they complain though...the'll be on the beach all day and well..will work half days...
LOL!!! Sounds like a plan!!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:37 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev

What i am doing is getting a DI...much lighter truck...a TDI 200 or 300..which you can get for under a grand...r380 auto gearbox and transfer case
why are you getting another transfer case? doesn't your LT230 bolt to the r380?

Quick Reply: Diesel Engine?