Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diff fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff fluid change

i changed my differential fluid with the factory reccomended gear oil but i am curious if it takes an additive like some other 4x4's with limited slip, i asked the dealership and they said no but i dont trust them, thanks

anthony

Old 02-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Winching
Default RE: diff fluid change

Anthony,

You do not need to add anything to your diff oil. You do not have limited slip differentials.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

unless you (or a previous owner) threw them in as an aftrmarket thing.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Drifting

i thought i had limited slip bc both back tires will spin if i get a little hung up in some sticky mud (always make it though ) so i thought i mite have limited slip, also both back tires spin if im goin up a hill, so i thought i mite have L.S in the back, but not 100% sure

Old 03-01-2005, 01:29 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garover,

To the best of my knowlege, which I"m sure someone will hit with a fish bat if I'm wrong, it sounds as if your driving with your diff lock engaged at all times. I do know that any LR is full time 4 wheel drive and if your driving with your diff lock engaged you will notice that power is being sent both wheels.

I hope I'm not out of my league with trying to answer that one for you.

Old 03-01-2005, 04:08 AM
Rock Crawling

This sounds very unusal for a standard set up for a Land Rover. The only diff lock is the one in the transferbox. but even with this engaged, you would not get two wheels on the same axle spinning, normally only one, unless you have a diff lock in the axle, which would have been an after market fit.

With regard to you stating you changed the diff oil, are you talking about changing the oil in the axle or the transferbox? All of which should be EP90, and not ATF like the main gearbox.

Which model of Land Rover do you have, would it be a Disco 2 which does not have the central diff lock?

Old 03-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Drifting

lightning,

its a 96 disco 1, i drive around in regular 4H with the cdl un-engaged usually when on just the road, i changed the axle fliuds and used the specified gear oil. I just didint know if land rover required a gear oil additive like my dads 4x4 tahoe, not comparing the two b/c my disco is superior in every aspect to the tahoe but just a thought i had while i was doing it. As far as the limited slip goes im still unsure, when off-roading in any 4x4 setting locked or unlocked CDL, both back tires will spin if slipping. thanks for the info

anthony

Old 03-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Winching

Lighting is correct. Diff lock is A little misleading to us Yankee's. It actually means the center differential is locked. This equates to power being distributed evenly to the front and rear drive shafts. Even in diff lock it is possible to have one front wheel spinning and A rear.

To clarify Lighting's statement about the main gear box, he is referring to A manual transmission vs automatic. A few NAS 96 Disco's were fitted with manual transmissions. They do indeed require ATF for lubrication. All others require gear oil.