Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diff lock not engaging.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff lock not engaging.

My 97 disco diff lock is not engaging properly. We just finish cleaning the shift linkage and we are now able to move the transfer case control from hi to low and side to side(diff lock.) with no problem. The problem we are having the light that supposed to tell me that my diff lock is engaged is not lighting up and not engaging. We tried testing on a snowbank to see if its just the light bulb and that it would engage. It didn't engage.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you sure you are engaging the CDL? Go find a parking lot and engage it, turn a tight cirle, slowly, do you feel the front tires lurching? If not, it is not fully engaged.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Three Wheeling
Default diff lock not engaging

yes, we did that. the front tires are not lurching.. The diff lock shifter is going from left to right(with no trouble unlike before) after we lubricated the shift linkage. But the diff lock light won't turn on even if the shifter is already shifted to diff lock settings. Would it be the solenoid?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator

So you haven't freed up the front linkage yet, which is the one the actually engages the CDL.
Keep working at it, but don't force it or you can damage the linkage.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Three Wheeling

what did you mean by not freeing up the front linkage? Where can we access this front linkage. Is it by removing the console or are we able to see this underneath the truck?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Send me your tel number and I'll call you.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please post the advise Mike gives you. I installed a D1 linkage in my D2 a couple months ago and have a similar issue.

The shifter moves very well in ALL directions and when I installed it I adjusted the linkage for proper movement.

I can move the shifter to LOCK and the light does not come on and the case does not lock imediately. Cold or warm. Sometimes it locks after moving a short distance (I have been told this is normal,) but somethimes it never turns the light on and locks, and sometimes I drive for 100's of yards before it locks at all. I experience the same situation when unlocking the transfer case. I end up driving around in circles and moving the linkage back-and-forth for several minutes before the transfer case finnally unlocks AND/OR the light turns off.

This can't be normal. When I lock a transfer case it should lock every time very shortly after I engage it.

I drove Toyotas and Nissans before this Rover. I know this is not the same vehicle, but when I move a MANUAL linkage directly attached to a transfer case I should get DIRECT RESULTS.

Can someone explain to me why these manual transfer cases do not shift in direct conjunction with the linkage being moved?

BTW, I have a 99 D2 v-8. The transfer case is full of 80-90 dino-oil.

Please advise, I just want to understand this. Thanks, David

Old 02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is going on in your car is perfectly normal for a D2 that has been retrofitted with a CDL. The car would not have used it for how ever many years before you installed the linkage. D1's are the same, if you dont use it, it will be very "reluctant" to work, if at all.

The whole point is, the more you use it the better it becomes, ie it will engage / disengage as you shift the lever. So, go and take the truck offroad for a day and use it LOTS, you may find that all will be good after that.

"use or you will loose it" (as they say)

Have you replaced the transfer case oil since you have had the car ? new oil will also "help" the situation.

As far as unlocking goes, driving in circles wont help, that will create more tranny "wind up". If you have been using the CDL, and when you come back onto a hard surface the light does not go out, just reverse the truck for 100 ft or so, that will 99% of the time knock the light out, but as stated above, the more its used the better it works

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 02-24-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

So should i expect this trouble when i install mine?

Ref post: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=20058

Old 02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its not an exact science, some are worse / better than others, for example,

I have just installed a D1 linkage to my friends 99 TD5 D2 and it works just as it should. WHen I did mine, it was a "little" reluctant, however after only my first offroad outing, it was sweet, and has been ever since

Quick Reply: diff lock not engaging.