Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff Lock....Ouch

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:37 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Lock....Ouch

So I recently bought a 1995 Discovery with 170,000. I paid 3500 bucks for it. It had a few warning lights on, but the guy assured me that discos were known for random lights. After purchasing the rave cd I discovered that one of the lights on was the diff lock light. Come to find out some dummy as been driving the truck with the diff lock engaged for a while. Well the sale was final...AS IS. So here I sit. Currently the rear drive is all that works in with the shifter in diff lock (and its not operating locked). I don't think the front drive shaft even spins. When I shift out of diff lock the rear stops working and the front drive shaft spins, but dosen't move the tires. Basically I need to know where to start, I can't afford to take it to a dealer, and won't get nearly what I paidif I try and resell it. Where should I start investgating my troubles?

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Diff Lock....Ouch

Sounds like your front Diff is blown. Have you drained it to see what the oil looks like? Check for shavings, but I am almost positive it is gone. When the Diff lock is not engaged, the transfer case acts like an open diff. If there is no resistance on the front driveshaft from the front diff being gone, the front shaft will spin and you will sit there.

If you jack it up by the front and rear axles and shift into gear with the diff lock engaged, the front and rear driveshafts should spin equally. If not, you need a new front diff and transfer case.

If your T-case is ok, I think you can replace your front diff with a locker if it isn't torn up too bad, or you can get a used one..Stock diffs on rovers are weak because they should both be pulling the truck. I have seen a few people remove the front driveshaft for "better gas mileage". It does no better and the rear diff goes out fast.

D1's (pre 99-1/2) should not have warning lights on. Neither should D2's for that matter, but more common for a dirty wheel sensor causing a bunch of lights to go off....

Old 10-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The front diff is broken, either the drive shaft, cv joint or the diff blew,
Sorry

Old 10-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my front diff replaced. Had the same symptoms as you. Thanks God I had purchased the extended warranty. The final bill was almost $1,500 bucks.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get used parts that will be cheaper.
There is a Land Rover club is Seattle I'm not sure how far you are
but localRover owners can help point to good help and where
to get parts.
Sales people that do that should be............ I can't type it Home Land S.