Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff Lock question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009 | 09:15 PM
|
Mudding
Default Diff Lock question

I have yet to take my 2004 Disco off road so I have not engaged the locking diff on this vehicle. I do not have an owners manual so if someone is familiar with this could you please explain shifting pattern and what the manual explains for needs and use. Thank you!

Old 11-18-2009 | 09:38 PM
Mudding

Not too difficult - only engage the diff lock if you are loosing traction or need more traction. Never engage difflock on sealed roads. It may damage your drive train.
These are full time 4WD vehicles so most off roading doesn't require the difflock.
You can also use low range to control low speed better.

Now get out and have a play!
________
Hot_Barbara live

Last edited by cranky; 09-11-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2009 | 09:59 PM
|
Mudding

Cranky,
I understand the diff locking idea. Sorry I must have been to broad. This disco can lock in the diffirentials from shifting side to side in high and low gear. My 2000 just has high and low gear and the lever can not move side to side to lock and unlock the diff. I just want to know if I pull the lever towards me, if that locks in the diffirential or if all the way to the right locks in the diffirential. I believe that all the way towards the right (passanger side) is unlocked but I do not have a manual and do not want to ruin it. No lights come on and I can not feel any difference when I shift it side to side to lock and unlock the diff. I just want to make sure that it is unlocked when it is all the way to the right and locked when I pull it towards me to the left. Any help?

Old 11-18-2009 | 11:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 00&04 Disco
Cranky,
I understand the diff locking idea. Sorry I must have been to broad. This disco can lock in the diffirentials from shifting side to side in high and low gear. My 2000 just has high and low gear and the lever can not move side to side to lock and unlock the diff. I just want to know if I pull the lever towards me, if that locks in the diffirential or if all the way to the right locks in the diffirential. I believe that all the way towards the right (passanger side) is unlocked but I do not have a manual and do not want to ruin it. No lights come on and I can not feel any difference when I shift it side to side to lock and unlock the diff. I just want to make sure that it is unlocked when it is all the way to the right and locked when I pull it towards me to the left. Any help?
Sorry!
My old truck locks to the left.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD

Old 11-19-2009 | 01:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle

There should be a diagram behind the lever... It is kind of in the shape of a "H" with forward and backward movements switching you from hi to low (in neutral, stopped or moving less than 5 mph) and side to side movements in either hi or low will lock or unlock the dif. It is my understanding that the cdl can be locked in at any speed as long as you are on a loose surface as stated above. When engaged you will see a light on your dash either right when you engage it or very shortly after moving. I was playing with mine the other day and it was a little tough to move but I finally got it working like it should. Hope this helps!

Old 11-19-2009 | 01:28 PM
Winching

is this what you need?

toward you and right = unlocked hi
away from you and right = unlocked lo
toward you and left = locked hi
away from you and left = locked lo

i thought there was a site with free owner's manuals, but couldn't find it. anyone?

Old 11-19-2009 | 01:39 PM
TReK

As long as the both axles are turning at the same speed you can lock the CDL. If one axle is spinning and the other isn't like when you're stuck you'll need to stop before engaging CDL or you can damage the transfer case. To lock the CDL move the shifter to the left.

This is your shift pattern for the transfer case.

low lock low
neutral
high lock high

Even on dry trails I usually used low locked. That way if I got a tire in the air over an obstacle I still had power going to the other axle. Without the CDL locked if you get a tire in the air all your power will go to that wheel. And low allows you to move slowly and not need as much throttle.

As UP always says, off road you want to go as slow as possible but as fast as necessary.

Old 11-19-2009 | 01:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Old 11-19-2009 | 10:17 PM
|
Mudding

Thanks guys. I do have the diagram in the front but it is confusing because it shows an X through the drive line like it is disengaged when it is on the left side shifting pattern. No lights come on still when I shift it to the left though. It had never been used when I bought it (94,XXX) so it could be stuck with the diff unlocked, who knows.

Old 11-19-2009 | 10:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 00&04 Disco
Thanks guys. I do have the diagram in the front but it is confusing because it shows an X through the drive line like it is disengaged when it is on the left side shifting pattern. No lights come on still when I shift it to the left though. It had never been used when I bought it (94,XXX) so it could be stuck with the diff unlocked, who knows.
There has been a few threads reporting stuck diff lock. I think some spray on the linkage and a lot of patient working of the lever was the fix. - not always successful though.
Good luck.
________
Web Shows

Quick Reply: Diff Lock question