Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different size lug nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different size lug nuts?

OK...today I decided on some new tires and bought 4 new 245/75 16 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors Pro Grade to replace the OEM Michelins'...awesome tires thus far...quiet and looks great on "da rover". Discount tire did a great job...but it took forever to get them installed because I had different size lug nuts!

As a matter of fact, the manager had to walk across the street to Autozone and pick up a new socket to fit half of my lug nuts. 10 lugs were 1-16 inch and the other 10 were 1-18 inch. We even took my lug wrench out and confirmed that it did not fit on two of my tire's lug nuts! I'm so happy I did not get a flat and figure this out on the side of the road.

WTF? Also, after stripping two of my lug nuts trying to get it off with the wrong size socket, I ended up driving to Land Rover to buy two new lug nuts (with two tires only having 4 nuts for the drive to the dealer!). The dealer quoted me $30 per nut...but I talked him down to $15 a piece (I told him I would be back to buy 8 more so he gave me a discount).

Is this normal? Has anyone else encountered two different size bolt sizes? The part number from the dealer was ANR3679 Nut-Hex.

8 more lug nuts at $15 a piece to make sure it fits my lug wrench was not in my plans! Something does not seem right. I'm going to check Atlantic British to see if I can get them shipped to me cheaper.

The tires are awesome though...I can't wait to drive up to White Pass this weekend and try them in the snow!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Default different size lugs

Its probably not that you were supplied with different size lug nuts. When shops use an air impact wrench to remove or replace the lugs it sometimes distorts the chrome cap on the lug (same thing happens on my wife's jag). Notice that the chrome lug is kind of loose on the lug. You'll probably note on the ones that are oversized that they end is caved in a little or the cap is bowed out on the sides.

Every time you get the wheels installed or balanced, etc ask them not to use the air impact wrench or this will happen again,

Smokey73

Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

were the lug nut covers missing on the smaller ones?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
The tires are awesome though...I can't wait to drive up to White Pass this weekend and try them in the snow!

We need to see pictures of your great looking truck with the new tires!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Winching

I did notice that the "cap" (for lack of a better term) was loose, but it was on each of the nuts. Now that I think about it, I think the chrome cap over the actual lug nut was rounded and bent out of shape on many of them. Which probably explains why the wrench did not fit properly on half of them. From now on I will request not to use an impact gun when I rotate the tires.

I'll take some pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

27mm (1 1/16") is the correct size. When the chrome caps get buggered you often have to use a 1 1/8" socket to get them off. One option, rather than buying a bunch of overpriced lugnuts is to remove the chrome cap from all of them, clean them up and paint them. They'll take a smaller than 27mm socket then, but they'll be solid steel and not get messed up again, and all be the same size.
Some people won't like the aesthetics of such a solution, so if you're not sure, do it to one of the ones you've taken out of service and see how you like it.