Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Headlight upgrade and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DII Headlight upgrade and questions

Hi Everyone,
It has been a while since I posted. I have had my 1999 Discovery series II here in Japan for about 2 months..... Thistruck is awesome! About two weeks ago I went to Bandai-san (a volcanic mountain). There was a ski resort next to it, the snow hasn't fallen yet. My Discovery had no problem getting to the top of the trail (blue). My wife, and I had the best time. We built a huge fire and my dogs ran around like crazy. We sure were glad to escape the crowded city. Anyway, I have installed a set of Raybrig headlights that run around150w to 160w. I have been monitoring them closely and the wiring seems fine. They are very bright and and are a clean 4500k, not to blue not yellow just a nice bright white!

Here is the hate of the love/hate relationship. Three amigos/ lowered rear air suspension.

Three amigos- Came on about a month ago, go off when the car is restarted but come on after 20 or so kilometers. The first time they came on was in heavy rain. I tried powerwashing the disk and caliper area and they did stay off for a bit longer. Does this sound like a failed sensor? I tried stopping on gravel to fire up the ABS but it didn't come on. HDC also unavailable. The truck has about 30,000 miles (but that is normal for Japan as it is stop and go). If it is the ABS modulator, how much and how many hours am I looking at?

Lowered rear air suspension- This morning I came out to my truck and saw that it had lowered. Both sides were lowered but the passenger side looked like it was all the way down. I started her up and in a few mintues later she was up again. I parked her and checked after 5 hours and shelooks fine. It did just get cold but the lows are around 14 degrees c. I have one of these tricky mafia car dealer waranties that says they will pay half of the cost within 3000KM. I am afraid they are going to tell me it cost more than it does and rob me. Any advice for a young man who has never done much of this?
Does anyone know if LR charges to plug up to their machine and get the codes? If I have to replace the bags, how much am I looking at?

Domo arigatoin advance DISCOMIKE-san

Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: DII Headlight upgrade and questions

I was wondering how you were doing, good to hear from you.
On the ABS, I need to have you try something. While driving when the ABS lights are on, with no one behind you, apply the brake hard, on a loss surface if possible, and let me know if you can feel the brake pedal pulsate while stopping.
As for the air bags, I know you only have somewhere around 40,000 miles on the truck, the bags shouldn't be leaking from wear cracks. Since both sides dropped I would say it is caused by the ECU allowing the bags to deflate. If it happens again, you will probably need to find some one with the appropriate scanner and have it cleared and reprogrammed.
Let me know how it goes.