Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Manual Tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
I think manual transmissions are fun.... even if it's like driving a truck instead of an M3. Heck, if you have a yellow disco, you could pretend you're driving an old school bus.
x2 on the fun part, but I'll tell you, an r380 could make a world of difference in a D2...even if it was mated to a 4.0l.

I've driven lots of GEMS D1s with automatics and they've always been pretty unexciting. My '96 D1 with a 5-spd is a whole different animal and really puts a smile on my face every time I take it out. If a D2 with a 5 spd is similar, and easily acquired I'd take 2...

Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, somehow I knew "personal preference" wouldn't cut it for some Like several said, I find them wildly fun to drive, but they're also typically better on gas, give you a few more HP, provide another method of stopping (especially in inclement weather), and in all my wheeling adventures (mostly with Jeeps), I've never seen a manual tranny leave anyone stranded, even if a gear breaks.

But the car is a DD 1st! Never heard anything bad about Toddco until now, other than the fact that they've not replied to my e-mails that is. Only other bolt-up option I found was from RPI, and that's not what I'm looking for really. If the BMW would bolt up, use the same ECU(s), harness and so on, I'd be all over it. Not willing to retrofit anything...sgot to be drop in and work with everything. Like I said, it's a DD and I can't tear it down for 3 months, even if it is fun.

Mike, you doubt everyone who says they have a slipped sleeve...probably for good reason. I've replaced all lifters, oil pump and eliminated exhaust leaks. The sound is identical to those on YouTube (the guy who put his on the grill). My D2 only has 62K though and everyone else I've heard has 100-120K before they encounter this problem. Only solutions I've seen (drilling/tapping the liners) are not acceptable to me, hence the engine upgrade. I'd be happy with a 4.6L that had a tad more power (Merlin heads???) and no chance of ever slipping a sleeve again.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These damned things are so slow and unrelaible, I stop and put my hazards on before crossing railroads anyways... and when merging on highways... and when driving through puddles... and when it rains... or if its windy...

Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

On the bright side, your hazards work!

So really...no good options out there for a manual tranny? If that's the case, so be it.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No, no good tranny options on this side of town, sorry but you will need to across the rail road tracks.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My D1 5-speed remind me of the old family D90.....

I had both an auto and a manual. Absolutely love the manual, makes it fun to drive!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle

It's really only worth it (in my csae) if:
1. There is a direct bolt up replacement to be found in the US
2. Cost is < $3K
3. It's at least as strong as the stock AT

I'm hearing a resounding "no", so I'm content to press with what I got and hopefully it'll handle the extra power of a stroker kit when the time comes.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

At the Vermont Overland Rally there was a guy from Canada with an 04 DII with an R380 swap. He ended up doing it because he got water in his Auto and ruined it. Pretty sweet though.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan7
It's really only worth it (in my csae) if:
1. There is a direct bolt up replacement to be found in the US
2. Cost is < $3K
3. It's at least as strong as the stock AT

I'm hearing a resounding "no", so I'm content to press with what I got and hopefully it'll handle the extra power of a stroker kit when the time comes.
Yeah, you might get the parts for less than $3k, but all the time and effort would push it well beyond that price point...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Then again, I could just drop in a different engine for the cost of the stroker motor. That could broaden my tranny choices quite a bit depending on the engine (SBC), but that's a whole different thread...dozens actually

Last edited by Dan7; 09-27-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: DII Manual Tranny???