Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Master Cylinder Kit Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts
Default DII Master Cylinder Kit Instructions?

Guys,

I found that my master cylinder is leaking at the seals between the reservoir and the MC proper. No other problems are evident.

I ordered the master cylinder kit from AB and it arrived today. Turned out it is a genuine LR item. That made me think there might be a TSB on it, since the rebuild kit is not covered in RAVE. Does anyone have a TSB or something similar?

I expected to get the reservoir, new seals and the metal clip and the strainer, and I expected pull the old clip and reservoir, install the new pieces, bleed and be done. But some of the seals and the piece pictured suggest to me that I should pull the entire master cylinder and replace more than just the seals under the reservoir. It looks, for example, like the piece pictured fits inside the servo assembly.

I'm reasonably handy and generally able to figure out things when I pull them apart, but it'd be nice to know more about what I'm getting into before I start.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails DII Master Cylinder Kit Instructions?-pb141093-compressed.jpg  
Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

From what I understand the only way to replace those o-rings is purchase of the following:

Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Kit (Genuine Part # SJJ100362) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

Kind of ridiculous that they don't sell just the seals.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Camel Trophy

That's exactly what I ordered and received. I was asking if anyone has a TSB or other written instructions for installing the parts. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you downloaded the "rave"?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 AM
Camel Trophy

As I said in my original post, installation of the rebuild kit is not covered in RAVE. RAVE covers only replacement of the master cylinder, not its repair.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe I had the same problem leaking between the reservoir and the master cylinder and bought the same kit. I only replaced the two rubber grommets (seals) and didn't rebuild the actual master cylinder and had the orings and the plastic piece you show left over. Suck out the old brake fluid as much as you can and pull on the metal tab which should release the reservoir. Place a wrag underneath too collect the remaining fluid. Pull up on the reservoir and remove the old grommets. My grommets were cracked and thats where the leak was coming from. Replace those and reinstall the reservoir, you have to put some pressure on it to make sure it is 'clicked' in. Then reinstall the metal tap. Bleed the system. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:14 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Necessary to bleed the system?

Hi all. If you're just replacing the rubber seals under the reservoir, is it necessary to bleed the system? I'm having the same leaky issue but would love to avoid bleeding the system. Brakes are working perfectly fine at the moment, will it not work as effectively after I replace the seals?

Old 10-29-2015, 12:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

It should be fine to just remove the reservoir and replace the seals. As long as the master cylinder isn't removed, the replaced brake fluid in the reservoir should drop directly unto the fluid still in the cylinder and any air will naturally rise up. Just don't pump the brakes with the reservoir off. BTW, you can buy the individual seals from Australia. The Aussie dollar is about 3/4 of the US dollar, so the lower price will probably offset the higher shipping cost.

The following users liked this post:
H Hill (11-10-2018)