Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Towning Capacity in the real world

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I hear you about the mountains, not much you can do about that other than move.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by salve7
I would worry more about stopping than going...
Not really an issue - anyone who tows knows enough to tow will make that happen. I can stop my pickup entirely with the brakes on my trailer if I really want to. My normal problem is getting them adjusted DOWN far enough so that I'm not leaving trailer tire on the road (ahhh..the joys of rusty/sticky drums from sitting for months at a time).

Last edited by DarylJ; 07-02-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Prepilot_3ck
I regularly tow my camper, it's about 3000 pounds fully loaded. It's horrible in the mountains. flat and some hills are no problem, but it really sucks in the mountains.
Thank you VERY much. This is the experience I was looking for. I knew someone on here would know more than what it says in the manual.

So, no surprise, sounds like the same power as towing with my pickup. The numbers are about the same, so I expected that. Just glad to hear from someone else with load distribution/anti sway and know that I'm not going to be white-knuckled the whole way. I don't mind slow too much. I do mind twitchy/weavy/death trap.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
If you have been towing for sometime you know how to stop and turn corners.
As long as your trailer and gear weigh less than the tow vehicle it wont push your rear end out from under you in a turn.
Now this is the only reason that you will ever hear me recommend a DII with the SLS (self leveling suspension)
Your butt wont sag, the truck will always side level...until the SLS acts up anyway.
I've been towing nearly as long as I've been driving - not worried about any of that. Vehicle performance is my only concern in this case. As I mentioned, it works with the pickup. With my old diesel dually, you couldn't even tell your connected to anything.....but I got tired of driving around in that beast.

As far as SLS, I'm not sure its applicable with a load distribution hitch. My current pickup has rather soft suspension (its the Ford "4x4 Offroad Package" - meaning they charge you an extra couple grand to put a set of RS5000s, a couple of under trays, a few LESS leaves in the spring pack, and few ugly stickers on the bed). With the load distribution properly adjusted, you're shoving a LOT of weight up front, and the entire truck ends up sitting level. Don't know if you've ever driven anything with a hitch like that - it's magic. You hit a bump and look back and your entire rig is bouncing at the same time - no craziness. All nice and calm and controllable. I never new about that stuff until I got into RVs - everyone uses them for that. Wish I knew that years ago when I was pulling horse trailers.

...so with all the problems I've heard of with SLS, and considering I can manually adjust the hitch to level the truck, it sounds like more trouble than its worth.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
I hear you about the mountains, not much you can do about that other than move.
Sure there is.

Forced induction fixes everything.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ

As far as SLS, I'm not sure its applicable with a load distribution hitch.... ...so with all the problems I've heard of with SLS, and considering I can manually adjust the hitch to level the truck, it sounds like more trouble than its worth.
Yeah, for me I love the SLS, mine hasn't broken [yet]. It's just super nice not to get the sag, the LD bars do a great job though, the SLS just give a nice additional feature. One thing I love is when I camping off road or the ground is REALLY unleveled. Being able to raise and lower the backend to get it hitched up is really nice. I was recently in a spot where somehow I had parked my camper in a hole (must have been the only flat spot) and didn't really realize it. 2 days later I went to hitch up and even with 3, 200lb guys on the back of my disco I couldn't get it low enough to get hitched up. I don't have the remote control for the air bags [yet] so I did the next best thing - loosed the fittings on the compressor. (learned that from installing my SLS spacers from RTE), the bags deflated, I hooked the camper up and PRAYED that the bags would inflate with the weight of the trailer on it. It did! Off I went.

Anyway, there are a few of us here that love the SLS, but I think it's really up to personal preference. If they do break, they are relatively easy to replace and you can find replacements for around $100 each online.

Brian

Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure there is.

I'm soooo doing that.

Brian

Old 07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Prepilot_3ck
Anyway, there are a few of us here that love the SLS, but I think it's really up to personal preference. If they do break, they are relatively easy to replace and you can find replacements for around $100 each online.
OK...so that's pretty awesome. I was under the impression that the repair parts were too expensive to make it worth fixing (similar to a coil replacement cost). I'd absolutely rather have it - that way when I'm towing something lighter without LD bars I can use it.

Oh....and, been there done that with the RV. My jack wasn't tall enough. So I found enough cinder blocks/rocks, etc to hold the tongue up at full exension, "lowered" the jack and put some more cinder blocks under it. Then extend - presto.

Whatever works.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Sure there is.

There is not much that is sexier than a glowing red hot turbo!!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

Speaking of turbos, there is a video of AMG testing a engine on a dino, no car just the engine, the computer is programmed to run the Nuimburg ring as fast as the car can go and when they do this the turbo on engine heats up and glows like that, its just the most awesome thing you have ever seen...other than a naked woman that is.

Quick Reply: DII Towning Capacity in the real world