Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable 3 amigos lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disable 3 amigos lights

I have D2 and over the last 3 years spent time chasing the 3 amigos around. Repaired the shuttle valve then it was another sensor wire etc etc. I do not actually need or want ABS or descent control! I will be fitting the CDL kit and as I learned to drive off road in the Royal Marines in 1970 and have owned S2A, Disco 1, 3x TD90's, a 110 TDI etc I jus want the lights to go out.

Is there a wire I can cut to disable these annoying warning lights please?

Old 11-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Just pull the instrument cluster out of the dash and put black tape over the desired bulbs. It should be noted, ABS is still pretty handy even with CDL unless you're doing limited slip diffs or lockers.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 823 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Duffy
I have D2 and over the last 3 years spent time chasing the 3 amigos around. Repaired the shuttle valve then it was another sensor wire etc etc.
Sounds like you don't want to hear this but what specific ABS codes are you getting now? And have you done the Option B bypass? It's really quite easy and can result in restoration of full ABS function. If you had a shuttle valve code and replaced thee shuttle valves without doing the bypass that's likely the problem.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks I did not need to any bypass as the problem was fixed for a while then the right front shows on the diagnostic and then the left and now back to the shuttle valve. This is the first ever landrover I have had with ABS. I have competed back in the UK a little and never needed ABS so I would just like to cut it out so it causes no more problems. When I bought it i never considered that the CDL could not be locked until I came to use it. I intend to fit a linkage to fix that. I was sure there could be a signal wire from the ABS ECU that would eliminate the lights.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Camel Trophy

Do you have the RAVE manual? It shows each and every wire connected to the SLABS box. The two relevant pages are attached below.

If you want to completely disable and disconnect the ABS I'd try simply unplugging the connectors from the SLABS box instead of taping over lights (ghetto) or cutting wires.

Try unplugging connector C0505 and see what happens. If your truck has coils in the back and not air springs you could simply unplug all five connectors from the SLABS and see what happens. You'd get rid of the chimes as well as the lights. I just don't know what other things the absence of the SLABS might trigger with the ECU, etc. Maybe nothing. But I'd also be sure to disclose ANY disabling of the ABS system to the person to whom you eventually sell the truck (and get an acknowledgement in writing) to avoid a possible lawsuit.

All that said, I'd do the Option B bypass before giving up. As I said, it's easy.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SLABS Connectors.pdf (32.3 KB, 503 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by mln01
Do you have the RAVE manual? It shows each and every wire connected to the SLABS box. The two relevant pages are attached below.

If you want to completely disable and disconnect the ABS I'd try simply unplugging the connectors from the SLABS box instead of taping over lights (ghetto) or cutting wires.

Try unplugging connector C0505 and see what happens. If your truck has coils in the back and not air springs you could simply unplug all five connectors from the SLABS and see what happens. You'd get rid of the chimes as well as the lights. I just don't know what other things the absence of the SLABS might trigger with the ECU, etc. Maybe nothing. But I'd also be sure to disclose ANY disabling of the ABS system to the person to whom you eventually sell the truck (and get an acknowledgement in writing) to avoid a possible lawsuit.

All that said, I'd do the Option B bypass before giving up. As I said, it's easy.
I will give it a try. Not intending to sell. Just bought an LR3 for the wife. The D2 is now my emergency 4 wheels as I ride motor bikes 99% of the time!

Old 11-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Virus warning scam! The shuttle valve bypass link quoted takes me every time to a Virus Scam website - tried it on both my Macs and my virus scanner picks up malware locking the browser!

Old 11-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Camel Trophy

Is this the URL you are trying to use?

ABS Mod - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

"http://landroverclubvi.weebly.com/abs-mod.html"

Old 11-23-2015, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Your speedo won't work without the SLABS.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jafir
Your speedo won't work without the SLABS.
Hmmm ... That's interesting.

I looked it up in RAVE tonight and the SLABS also provides the signal for the odometer.

I don't really need the speedometer; my old Garmin GPS V displays speed more accurately anyway.

So if I disconnect the SLABS the odometer will be frozen at the current number of miles? Interesting.

That would have perhaps been a more enticing proposition a hundred thousand miles ago. I think once the truck has 153,000 miles on it freezing the odometer isn't worth much. I'm not planning to do this but it is interesting.

I never had a reason to look into it for the DII but in other cars the speedo and odometer are driven off the trans output shaft.

Quick Reply: Disable 3 amigos lights