Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable the ABS/TC/descent

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable the ABS/TC/descent

OK so not wanting these unnecessary features and not wanting to spend a fortune fixing a weird fault I want to disable them altogether.

Now each wheel sensor has a signal cable running back to the SLABs. If instead of the cable running to the wheel it was just terminated with a resistor in the normal range the ABS expects then the ABS computer would then be happily ignorant.

For about $1.50 all my issues would go away. I cannot find the OHM resistance that would be required. Has anybody got that information please?

Once I have done this I can install the linkage for the CDL and I will have a basic disco where the driver is back in charge again.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Do you have yearly inspections where you live? If so you probably won't pass with a faulty ABS system.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:40 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Or you could just buy a jeep.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

It's not resistance it's measuring, it's PWM. Also, you'll no longer have a functioning speedometer, unless you provide the signal some other way.

There is nothing in the system that would cost a fortune to fix, no matter how weird. Even the most expensive parts, the modulator or the wheel hubs can be purchased used cheaply.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Pwm?

Originally Posted by jafir
It's not resistance it's measuring, it's PWM. Also, you'll no longer have a functioning speedometer, unless you provide the signal some other way.

There is nothing in the system that would cost a fortune to fix, no matter how weird. Even the most expensive parts, the modulator or the wheel hubs can be purchased used cheaply.
Jafir - I have the ABS fuse pulled at present as it is not safe to drive. I must admit when I bought this I had owned a Disco (and other LRs) back in the UK but none of this crap was fitted. I thought it had the Viscous Diff on the transmission. Replacing the hub may fix the problem but if not I am told that they will maybe have to spend time with an oscilloscope checking out the ABS system as no codes are coming up. Also the existing hub is fine, no play, no leaks, it could only be this tone ring. All this for something I do not want. I do not want TC or ABS so would like to just get rid. The easy solution is to fit the mechanical CDL linkage and drive with the fuse out and a christmas tree of lights on the dash.

If they check that the ABS sensors and cables are OK by measuring the resistance then surely just providing that loop with 1000ohm in it would work.
What is PWM? How can I fool it?

A new hub I have seen complete with sensor at $400 but used at $250 plus a new sensor at over $100 so used does not make too much sense.

Last edited by Patrick Duffy; 11-14-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Marty will sell you the used hubs for $50 each, with the sensor.

D2 hubs 50 shipped w. sensor - DiscoWeb Message Boards

PWM is pulse width modulation. Basically its reading pulses from the tone ring. D2 uses the wheels sensors for your speedometer too. If you just fed the system a fixed value, I bet your transmission would shift funny too. You might even get codes for implausible values.

There have been issues with older SLABS computers being too sensitive to noisy ABS sensors. The "fix" was to replace the SLABS computer with the newer 2004 model part number. What year is your D2?

Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Speedometer

Originally Posted by jafir

Checked out the speedo and that gets its input off a sensor on the transmission - nothing to do with the ABS.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Three Wheeling

My D2 is a 2000 - I have asked about the recall on the SLABS but cannot get any sense from the dealer.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Patrick Duffy
Checked out the speedo and that gets its input off a sensor on the transmission - nothing to do with the ABS.
This is incorrect.

Originally Posted by Fram Rave:
Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS)
The VSS is used, by the ECM, to control idle speed and overrun cut off. The ECM receives the signal through a hard
wired connection direct from the SLABS ECU.
For vehicles fitted with an automatic gearbox, two vehicle speed signals are received by the ECM. The second signal
is derived from the main gearbox output shaft speed, and is sent to the ECM by the Electronic Automatic Transmission
(EAT) ECU though the Controller Area Network (CAN). The ECM compares the vehicle speed signal generated by
the SLABS ECU with that supplied via the CAN.
The signal from the transmission speed sensor is just used to see of the the slabs signal is plausible or for transmission shifting, I'm guessing, since the manual transmission vehicles don't use it at all.

Originally Posted by also from Rave:
Speedometer
The speedometer informs the driver of the current vehicle road speed. It has a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) to show
odometer, trip meter and, on automatic gearbox models, the selected gear. The speedometer will not show speeds
of less than 1.5 mph (2.5 km/h).
There are three different market configurations:
l NAS and UK = mph as major figures km/h as minor figures.
l Canada = km/h as major figures mph as minor figures.
l ROW and Australia = km/h only.
The Self Levelling and Anti-Lock Brake System (SLABS) ECU provides the signal input for the road speed. The signal
is at 8000 pulses per mile (1.6 kilometres).The speedometer informs the driver of the current vehicle road speed. It has a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) to show
odometer, trip meter and, on automatic gearbox models, the selected gear. The speedometer will not show speeds
of less than 1.5 mph (2.5 km/h).
There are three different market configurations:
l NAS and UK = mph as major figures km/h as minor figures.
l Canada = km/h as major figures mph as minor figures.
l ROW and Australia = km/h only.
The Self Levelling and Anti-Lock Brake System (SLABS) ECU provides the signal input for the road speed. The signal
is at 8000 pulses per mile (1.6 kilometres).

Last edited by jafir; 11-14-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Three Wheeling

Well everything I have learned in the last few weeks reading all these blogs and forums has destroyed my previous impression of Landrover being Robust, Reliable, Repairable. I cannot believe the range of problems people suffer.
I have owned an S2, 90, 110, '75 Range Rover, early Disco TDI, '94 Range Rover. I have driven a '97 Disco around the Saudi desert for a week in 1997. It was a V8 Manual. Whilst I was there I met a guy who managed a fleet of several hundred vehicles for the oil industry. He said that the most reliable vehicles for that environment were Chevy Suburban and Toyota Landcruiser. He said Landrovers had real problems with sand and dust and were too expensive to fix. I remember him telling me that the Jeeps they had bought in the past were wrecks 1 year. Now I see what he means and should have taken note. To have to replace a whole front hub for a minor fault is a joke. I would have expected to have been able to dismantle it, replace the faulty tone ring, put it back together and maybe slap some new bearings in whether they were need or not.

It used to be the case that you could take Landrovers anywhere, a blacksmith in an African village could repair it. I would not put my faith in even a new one to go some of the places I have been. They seem to be just luxury AWD pimpmobiles. On reflection the 74 range rover had less problems than the 94 one. The 94 was an auto and great on the road but we lived up a rough track in Yorkshire. Its main problem was the tailgate would never stay shut due to the chassis flex and body stress cracks appearing in many key places. It did not help having the ECU under the seat - some deep water saw that off. My 110 was fully equipped for Rally Rescue - in support of the local fire service I took that through deep water to help some stranded people. The vehicle filled with water to the seat level - a useful feature because you will not get flotation - the bow wave came up the windshield. No problems with water in the diffs or gearbox after. I have a photo of my 90 trying to winch a Lightweight AirPortable out of a flash flood. The driver is stood on his roof. We ended up tying it off. The following day despite having been submerged he took the plugs out and pumped the engine dry, changed the oil and drove it away - and people criticize Lucas electrics!

It used to be a standing joke that 90% of range rover buyers believe going off road is parking in a field at the horse trials. I guess that is the market Landrover address these days.

Now if anyone remembers the Austin Champ - that was an off road vehicle!