Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DISCO 1 OR DISCO 2 PROS AND CONS

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: DISCO 1 OR DISCO 2 PROS AND CONS

ORIGINAL: JayhawkinIdaho

Well to jump in on this one since I have both. Mike is correct about the Disco 1, my '95 will out do the '01 any day, when it comes to climbing around. It also has a softer ride than my '01 but it has 18" wheels on it, and the '95 has 16" with more tire. Now when it comes to towing my '01 does tow a trailer much better, seems to have a little more power, but it does have a little bigger engine. It also doesn't wander as much with the trailer behind as the '95. Ultimately the decision is yours, but I like both of mine for separate reasons and uses.
If you lock up the CDL on the 01 and both have the same tires, they will be an equal match off road.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

ORIGINAL: llesra

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I have to tell you, I have a 99 D2 and I will put out an open invitation to anyone with a D1 that thinks he can out climb me here in Colorado.
[sm=interesting.gif]
Arsell,
I was thinking of you and your truck when I wrote this. You have too many cool mods on yours for me to keep up with, but I still believe a D1 and a D2 with equal setups will give an equal job off road.
How are your truck projects coming along?

Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input from all you great land rover people. I think some of you have missed what I was getting at. I meant as a everyday vehicle with weather conditions that become necassaery to go through which land rover handles the best and is the easiest to maintaine on a daily basis. I wasn't planning on rock crawling . Thanks

Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like saying that if you're blessed with a good disco, why look for trouble and gamble on getting one of the lemons that unfortunitely represent a much too great percentage of the Discos produced.

But then again,most problems that can occur with a D2, are electronics that can be disabled. I mean if the SLS goes wrong, you can switch to coils. If theACE goes wrong, to can bypass the pump with ashorter belt and disable it. If the ABS fails you can also get rid of that. Then, you end up with a D1 with a longer rear overhang and none of these electrical glitches that D1s are plagged with.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: llesra

I have to tell you, I have a 99 D2 and I will put out an open invitation to anyone with a D1 that thinks he can out climb me here in Colorado.
[sm=interesting.gif]
Arsell,
I was thinking of you and your truck when I wrote this. You have too many cool mods on yours for me to keep up with, but I still believe a D1 and a D2 with equal setups will give an equal job off road.
How are your truck projects coming along?
hahabut you have a locker!

35s are on, but everything else is on hold until i pay for my books. new ring and pinon gears are sitting in my garage andi need new front axles/cvs from keith. my massiverear end should hold up just fine with the new tires loliplan to finish everything by national rally time in fall.