Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 1 electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 1 electrical problem

My headlight work but when I put the high beams the dash lights turn off, any ideas?

Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off Topic..

Can you give me some detail about soldering the window lift ECU??
As you appeared to have success.. I dont want to mess it up

Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

bad headlight switch is known to be a problem in the disco 1

Old 10-04-2009, 03:28 AM
3rd Gear

With mine, all of the head/sidelights work fine but the dash lights wont come on. The full beam light and indicator lights work but everything else is dead. Not really a big deal but you cant see the speedo when its dark!!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I had the same problem however mine was with regular beams making any night driving very difficult, I found that if I tried to continue to turn the switch past the final setting (almost felt like it was going to break it but it didnt) this would resolve my problem, however I could not drive holding the switch! so having an electrical background I decided to wire a relay up to the dash lights and use the headlights as a trigger, this way when my headlights are on, they trigger the relay which powers my dash lights, never had another problem with it.

if you would like me to explain how I did this I can, it is cheaper than a new switch (a relay is only a few bucks)

Old 10-05-2009, 08:39 AM
Drifting

It will be great if you can explain step by step!!!!! thanks

Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

you will need to get a SPDT (single pole, double throw) relay, it will have 5 pins on it. Most have the pins numbered as follows the two side pins are vertical and they are 85 and 86, the bottom pin is also vertical and it is pin 30, and the top and middle pins are horizontal and they are 87 at the top and 87A in the middle. You can use a SPST (single pole single throw) relay, this type does not have pin 87A (even though it may be there) but you do not need that pin. you will need to remove the "clamshell" around the steering column to access the ignition wires and the wires at the back of the light switch. the pins will connect to the following wires (I highly recommend using a test light or a multimeter to be sure about the wires):
pin 30 will go to the heavy guage brown wire at the back of the ignition switch (12 volts all the time).
pin 87 will go to the red wire coming from the light switch (this is the 12 volt parking light wire, if this method does not work this will be the pin we will attach somewhere else).
pin 86 will go to the blue/red wire at the light switch( 12 volt main headlight wire)
pin 85 will connect to a good ground (either tap your own or connect to the ground junction point in the kick panel)
pin 87A is not used.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I would also strongly recommend wiring a small fuse (maybe 15 amps) in between the brown wire and pin 30 as close to the brown wire as possible. this will protect your wiring in case of a short.

If this method does not work or you have multiple wires of the same color you will need to test the wires.

what you will be looking for is a wire that shows 12 volts in position 1 on the switch and then loses 12 volts when in position 2 (position 1 being driving lights and position 2 being driving and headlights) this will be the wire you will connect to pin 87.

if you have any problems let me know.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I made a small error, you said you lose your dash lights when the high beams are on? then you will need to connect pin 86 to the blue/white wire (high beam wire) instead of the blue/red regular headlight wire.

I'm sorry mine went out with regular beams so I was going on what I did not what you said. but all other connections should be right.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Quick Reply: Disco 1 electrical problem