Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 - extremely low cold idle ~0

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:11 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 - extremely low cold idle ~0

Discos seem to get bad head gaskets around 50K to 70K miles - soon enough after the warranty expires... I've done the gasket job myself on my '99 Disco 2 and a few days ago completed the same job on the '03 Disco 2. Can't say I liked all the secondary air plumbing in the newer vehicle.

To the point, even though I cleaned everything to the umpteenth degree - and that engine was major filthy inside; secondary air to blame no doubt - the car started up perfectly on the first try, but has no cold idle. None, zero. When warm, it runs just about perfectly, but without a foot on the accelerator, it will not idle when cold.

The vehicle has 55,000 miles on it - new plugs, new HT leads, has some error codes (haven't checked which yet).

I have not replaced MAF sensor (only cleaned) or any other sensors.

Ideas?

Also, what is the correct way to adjust the two cables to the throttle body? Right now, when the engine got warm and developed an idle, I adjusted them back to a ever-so-slight slack when the car runs.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, you never clean a Bosch MAF in a Rover, you will kill it, may take a while, but consider it ready to be replaced.
Second, your SAI in no way can sludge up an engine, it is just air injection. Seriously consider flushing out that engine, look at your oil as a problem, maybe not changing it frequently enough.
Have you cleaned out your t/body, how about the idle control solenoid, is it even plugged in after your head gasket job?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 AM
8th Gear

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions - curious about the "no-clean" advice - this seems to be another area of contention. Bosch MAFs are used in just about all German cars - and the MB and VW forums talk about cleaning them. I used CRC "MAF Cleaner" spray - so even despite the MAF label - that's still bad?

Bought the car used - haven't had it long enough to thoroughly flush it out I suppose. It lived in Connecticut previously - country club stickers from Darien - probably driven by a female in putt-putt mode going between the golf course to the spa to the food court and other social engagements. :-)

Anyway, will order a MAF.

I thoroughly cleaned every single piece of that engine - including the insides of the valve covers. Also, I don't think you can call the intake manifold on the 4.6 engine a "T-box" - how about an Arachnabox? It is very clean now though - it was quite filthy.

Have not payed special attention to the ICS - that's next on the list - could very well be unplugged.

Anything else to consider? Car runs fine once warm.

Last edited by krigsmakten; 09-30-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You probably have some time left on your MAF. You will know when it is acting up by harder starting, smelly exhaust, shifting problems for 3rd or 4th gears or fault codes.
As for cleaning our MAF, there are a number of other manufactures that have the same issue, including VW that I used to be a service manager for.
If you want to talk, PM me your tele number and I'll be glad to call you.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:01 PM
8th Gear

Mike,

I just ordered a new MAF sensor and some other parts from Atlantic British http://www.roverparts.com/
FYI, they have a big sale today - it's end of quarter time.

Good guys - I've used them since '99 when I bought a large Brownchurch safari rack. And I am not affiliated with them in any way. :-)

I have sent you my phone number in an IM.