Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 fuel restriction

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:23 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Disco 2 fuel restriction??

I have a 2000 D2 4.0 that won't start and it appears to be a restriction in the fuel system but I can't figure out how/where. The truck was having intermittent starting problems and eventually wouldn't start at all so I did some reading and all signs pointed to a crankshaft position sensor. I changed that today and still nothing (yes, I made sure the spacers were in the right place during reassembly!). From there, I proceeded to test spark with an in-line spark tester and that checked out fine. Next, I checked the fuel pressure testing port and no fuel came out when I poked the shrader valve so I assumed the fuel pump was either dead or not getting power (I had already checked the fuel pump relay and the fuse before doing the CkPS). Next, I went to the fuel pump and unplugged the electrical connection and stuck my multi-meter on the power and ground leads and got 12 v when I turned the key, so then I was sure it was the fuel pump itself that was the problem. Just to be extra sure (since fuel pumps aren't cheap), I took an extra battery and some alligator clips and put 12v directly to the pump and it sounded like it was running (very quiet but I heard a noise when connected), so then I thought maybe it wasn't the fuel pump. Next, I disconnected the fuel line from the pump, reconnected the electrical connection and turned the key, then went back to the fuel pump and saw that it had spit fuel all over the top of the tank, so now I'm thinking the fuel pump seems to be working properly, but still no fuel at the fuel pressure test port. Only other detail I can think of that may be relevant is that this all started right around the time I put a bottle of seafoam in the gas tank. I only drive the truck for an hour or two once every few weeks so it's been a slow process. First, the truck had trouble starting after sitting a while, but never had trouble when warm. Then one time it didn't restart when warm but I had someone jump it and then it started right up. I had also replaced the battery because that was my first thought. At this point, the symptoms seem like a clogged fuel filter but the D2 doesn't have an inline filter so it can't be that. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Shaky Disco; 11-06-2018 at 08:12 PM.