Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco 2 heat only when high rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco 2 heat only when high rpm's

Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I have a 99 Disco 2 that has the new head gaskets, new water pump, flushed cooling system, gray t-stat from AB, installed everything per the RAVE manual. Here is the problem. Idles at about 95 degrees Celsius with the defrost on full it is COLD, rev motor and the temp drops to 85 ish Celsius and the heat comes out nicely. So I let off and back to no heat cold!!! The res is full and no leaks. The lower hose below the t-stat is cool compared to the the upper hoses and the the two heater hoses go cool too.

Heads were milled and checked, water pump was dealer installed, radiator seems to flow water easily.

It feels as if the heater core has an air bubble in it but how could the rpms not force the air through?

Any suggestions? Thank you all for your time.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You are low on Antifreeze I bet.
OR you have a lot of air in your system.

Fill it up with Antifreeze.
Then bleed the system.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:12 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well lets go back a minute.

Do you hear the waterfall sound coming from your dash when reving up your engine? If so that means you cooling system has air in there. If thus is your case go up to the top of the page to the search bar and search "how to bleed cooling system " If not then you could have clogging going on in your heater matri or radiator which would also be the reason it is only blowing heat as more force is causing the coolant to circulate threw the blockage. You could have caused blockage or sediments to all pile up in one area from flush not allowing your coolant to circulate properly.

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-30-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

X2 with above. The thermostat is a "bypass design" that allows flow to heater core at low RPM, but at high speed the opening of the main stat forces the bypass disc closed. If during the work the sludge in cooling system was allowed to dry out, you could have blockage in both heater and radiator.

You can reverse flush the heater core with a garden hose. See https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...025_105723-pdf

Can also have crud from inside the system blocking the holes in the bypass disc.

Attached Thumbnails disco 2 heat only when high rpm's-d2-stat-internal.jpg   disco 2 heat only when high rpm's-thermo%2520inside%2520top.jpg  
Old 10-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Stop driving it till you properly bleed the coolant system, then pressure test the coolant system to rule out another coolant leak.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:46 PM
4wd Low

Thank you Mike for the phone call this morning. I will try your tests and report back.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
4wd Low

OK, coolant filled and bleed done as per Disco Mike's phone help today. Dead cold filled to top of coolant bottle with bleed screw out. Replaced screw, replaced cap, started up and set heater to highest temp. Cold air is all I got as temp came up to 187 degrees, slowly brought up rpm to about 1500 and back down several times. Heat would come and go just as the rpm would. Idle temp was around 195 and would drop with increased rpm. I do think I do need to replace the fan clutch but that is not causing my heater core not to get coolant?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you not understand my post?

Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM
4wd Low

LR2001, I did bleed it correct, no waterfall sound, I can blow through all parts with my mouth too. So I am baffled.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Overlanding

Try switching the hoses that enter the heater core at the firewall. Drive around like that and see if it gets better. If it does you may have had a partially blocked core. I would then flush the cooling system again to get out whatever may have been blocking it and putting the hoses back to their original location.

Quick Reply: disco 2 heat only when high rpm's