Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 2 Keyfob Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get my key fixed too. The plastic button covers are gone on my and I end up breaking off the actual electronic clicker from the FOB chip board.

Will most likely consider this company.

Thanks for the update.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Still say converting over to the flip-out style key fob is the best method.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Half an hour to an hour labor.

Way over priced.
Not necessarily!

Cost of the tool to do the job say Autologic @ $10,000 a tool with program.
Use to access & program the job by a skilled operative from a Mexican tech school, 0.5 hours minimum charge.
Average charge out rate $125 hence $62.0 to $75.
Expensive??
Well depends if you appreciate the level of shop investment at the repair shop to fix your Landrover security system and the training the tech has on your vehicle.
T/V

Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tuercas viejas
Not necessarily! Cost of the tool to do the job say Autologic @ $10,000 a tool with program. Use to access & program the job by a skilled operative from a Mexican tech school, 0.5 hours minimum charge. Average charge out rate $125 hence $62.0 to $75. Expensive?? Well depends if you appreciate the level of shop investment at the repair shop to fix your Landrover security system and the training the tech has on your vehicle. T/V
No. I don't care how much they payed for the tool. It shouldn't affect the amount of TIME they charge. A 15 minute job shouldn't charge an hour's labor.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Drifting

I realize this is an old thread, but I couldn't find the answer with my search. I got the circuit board moved over to the new shell no problem, but I'm having trouble with the key portion. Any suggestions on how to get a reluctant old key out of the fob? It seems to really be stuck in there.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:09 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

They are difficult sometimes. I have cut the case around the key section to remove in some cases. In other cases they just come out by tweaking the key.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have to move the key as well? I was looking at them on eBay and it says you can move the guts over and then just have the key cut. Will that work?

I only ask because my key is a little wobbly and I need a new shell anyway.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:38 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

You can just move the guts over and get the new blank cut to match your old key.

I just did this and my old key would not come out. I destroyed the old fob case in the process and found that there were pins on the end of the original key that expanded into the plastic shell to lock it in. It would not fit into the new shell once removed.

So I just had the supplied blank cut to match and it works fine that way. And I had them cut me a spare as well since I've only had one key in 8 + years of ownership... I've used up my luck on not losing my key!!

The replacement key blank does not have the pin and slides out with a little wiggle. Maybe the poster above who mentioned this doesn't actually have the original key.

Last edited by Dave03S; 07-16-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Street Wolf
Still say converting over to the flip-out style key fob is the best method.

Street Wolf,

Is that fob from the dealer or an aftermarket supplier? I've been looking to get a flip out fob and that one looks to be good quality. I also like that it has the LR logo on it. Could you tell me where you purchased it?

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave03S
... I just did this and my old key would not come out. I destroyed the old fob case in the process and found that there were pins on the end of the original key that expanded into the plastic shell to lock it in. It would not fit into the new shell once removed. ...
Maybe that's the reason I can't get the old one out of the fob. Ugh. Well, I took the blank to get cut, and after three cuts it still won't work in the ignition. So annoyed! Now I have one working key and one separate working fob. Like I wanted to carry two around! So now I either have to order another blank and try to find another place that might be more adept at cutting keys, or just deal with carrying two keys. (BTW, the place I took it to was a lock and key shop--albeit apparently an incompetent one.)

Quick Reply: Disco 2 Keyfob Buttons