Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco HSE with codes P0301 & P0300

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco HSE with codes P0301 & P0300

2004 LR Discovery HSE

My check engine light just came on yesterday, at first it was flashing and sputtering a bit at a stop light (on my way home from work) and then it ran fine once i accelerated, luckily I was only a few miles from home. I have not driven it since except to Autozone to get the codes read, the light was still on but not flashing and it drove great. I bought it about four years ago with 47000 miles on it and its received a 60000 mile tune up. It now has 69200 miles on it. I have put new magnecor wires in it (one year; less then) however no new plugs (told the plugs were good) and new Abbott air bags in the back. Since I've owed the vehicle I've only ever put premium gas in the tank, what should my next move be? I dont want to spend 2000+ as I'd rather get rid of it and buy something else (I dont want to)

advice...?

thanks in advance

Also I know it's been asked bunch of time but there has got to be an indy LR shop somewhere in the Chicago area

Last edited by Slowball41; 09-22-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: year of vehicle
Old 09-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new plugs...throw some cheap autolites in make sure they have the proper gap....

Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If plugs were installed at the 60K and you have Magnacor wires on, I would replace the #1 plug only with whatever is in there and you should be fine.
And for what it is worth, don't run Autolites in your truck, they have one of the higher failure rates in our engines.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Overlanding

Thank you very much, I will put a new plug in first thing tomorrow
I'm hoping that's all it is

Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Overlanding

okay after hours of reading, i just want to make it simple
will these plugs work with my disco II?

champion (7070) RC11PYPB4 double platinum

Old 10-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Overlanding

Ok, I changed all the spark plugs out with champions and the car ran fine for a few days. Now it's idling worse and the engine light flashes intermittently, i have since stopped driving the truck and have tracked down what appears to be a very trustworthy and local land rover guy out in maywood, il. Now i brought the truck there and the guy check the codes, cylinder one misfire; since then he's had it for a few days and has changed to fuel injector and both front o2 sensors. I called today and he said the truck was still running rough and he was out of ideas. He told me he worked on the car most the day but he's stuck and asked to keep it for a few more days (at no charge, though i need it fixed so it's for the best) to keep tinkering with while he brainstormed with some of his disco mechanic friends...I'm coming to you guys with any thought, ideas, suggestions...anything at all please advise

Old 10-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Mudding

Other possible causes are a vacuum leak or bad cats. This web site give possible solutions to your codes. Type your codes in the up right corner.

Land-Rover P0300 OBD/DLC Error Code - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

2003 Discovery SE 123 K with High Miles service complete!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

could be a defective wire.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Overlanding

ok more news i really like this mechanic i found however i really dislike the current situation im in. i'll try to explain what he told me over the phone though its a little difficult as he had a thick european accent. he's replace what he could and what he thought what the problems were, however the engine still runs rough and shows a misfire in the first cylinder. he was telling me when he changed the o2 sensors that they were soaked in oil and he believes its a head gasket (best case) or worst a slipped liner, he's not sure as he does not have the test used to test for head gasket. the truck has never over heated nor have i even noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust so im worried that it is the liner and after doing some reading it doesnt look good at all. he mentioned that if it were a liner that it would be expensive to change but its known to happen with the buick engines, so fars hes not going to charge me any labor fee for any of his work only for the parts bc he feels awful that he cannot properly diagnose the problem. im have no clue what the problem is or even what to do next...any advice? the car really acts up in idle while in drive or reverse which is the weird thing and i didnt even see this coming as ive always serviced the car properly

Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you don't find it soon, send me your number and I'll call you right back.

Quick Reply: Disco HSE with codes P0301 & P0300