Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco I exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by donjames911
Disco Mike,

It has been my experience, in 50 years+ of wrenching my own vehicles, and building off-road racers, that adding dual exhausts ALWAYS results in improved performance, and reduced fuel consumption and emissions. particularly when the installation includes tuned headers.

As an example, I purchased a new 1976 280Z from Bob Sharp, the legendary Datsun/Nissan racer. Actually, it was a demo. Sharp would take two Z's fresh off the boat, put it through his race shop, and add IMSA plastic and a tuned dual exhaust system, then give them to the general managers as demos. Once I drove one, I bought it. Paid the stock Z price, less $6000 cuz it was 'used' according to Connecticut laws. No dealer was offering discounts due to demand.

Car & Driver rated the top speed of a stock '76 Z as 131 mph. I could bury the 165 max speedo in mine, and it was a Corvette killer. Also, in a high-speed trip from Massachussetts to Florida, a fellow driver in the 'speed train' had to put at least a gallon more in his '77 280Z 5-speed thin I in my '76 4-speed every time we stopped to refuel.

I don't claim to be an expert, is there something about the Rover engine that I don't understand?
Our little, 50 year old Buick engine is not a performance based engine. It was set up by Rover to be a low end torquey engine and trying to reduce the back pressure by going to dual exhaust will drop that low end power needed for off road.
If it were a performance engine you would only really benefit by starting with the engine, open up the heads, bigger breathing cam with stronger springs, headers exhaust work then chip it to enhance the up-grades.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by discoxd
i just spent 700 bucks yesterday having my exhaust redone... both cats were shot and both gaskets from the headers to the downpipes were gone, not in bad shape or leaking, GONE... i had dual exhaust already but it was not "off road friendly"... i tore at least 2 hangers off getting hung up on things... how i have duals from the headers through magnaflow high flow cats, into dual 12 inch glasspacks, into 1 3 inch pipe that exits about where the stock one did... it sounds a lot better than my old set up... i will try to get some pictures up in the next day or two...
thats not bad at all, 700 for the y pipe? thats about what i was looking at my my D2.. the previous owner had ghetto welded some random Cats on to the exhaust and the heat shield is rattling around and the weld has cracked on the one. so i was looking at the aftermarket replacement from Atlantic British. after the y pipe and 4 new O2 sensors it will be around $1,000 with shipping and tax. not sure how the install will go need to get under and take a look. i do know the OEM part is $2100 and with LR labor it would be like $3,000 for just that one piece of the exhaust system..

Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
thats not bad at all, 700 for the y pipe? thats about what i was looking at my my D2.. the previous owner had ghetto welded some random Cats on to the exhaust and the heat shield is rattling around and the weld has cracked on the one. so i was looking at the aftermarket replacement from Atlantic British. after the y pipe and 4 new O2 sensors it will be around $1,000 with shipping and tax. not sure how the install will go need to get under and take a look. i do know the OEM part is $2100 and with LR labor it would be like $3,000 for just that one piece of the exhaust system..
yeah mines not set up quite like the stock setup... but i like it better than the duals i had before... the cats were like 2 hundred a piece... so the actual piping and stuff was pretty cheap...

Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM

thats awesome..... will investigate mine shortly as its getting damn cold outside and i can't wait much longer or i will be in the snow on my back trying to put it on.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is my opinion that when it comes to replacing your exhaust, just take it to the pro's at your local muffler shop, they can bend pipe alot cheaper than you can buy a new one on line.
My local shop does custom work, they have tons of straight pipe laying around and will build you whatever you want for cheap.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spike555
It is my opinion that when it comes to replacing your exhaust, just take it to the pro's at your local muffler shop, they can bend pipe alot cheaper than you can buy a new one on line.
My local shop does custom work, they have tons of straight pipe laying around and will build you whatever you want for cheap.

point taken, i will see if i can get an estimate from a local muffler shop that is not some crappy midas.