Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II AC Recirculate baffle

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Disco II AC Recirculate baffle

I have a 2000 Disco 2 that I try to keep in mint working order. Does anyone know how to check if the recirculate baffle is working when you hit the recirculate button with the AC running. I have had it checked but they say its working. I know that you hear A higher flow of air when the recirculate is engaged. I hear nothing no difference and also no baffle closing of the outside air. I do not think they even checked it. My AC worked much better when I had the recirculate on before. I was also told that this button sometimes needs to be reprogramed to work. Is that true. Now its having more trouble cooling in this crazy heat. Thank you for all the input and help. If it wasn't for this forum I would have been ripped of so many times at these supposed rover experts in town. Thanks, Joe

Last edited by lndrover@carolina.rr.com; 08-09-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely your blower motor resistor or fan is being affected by the heat or old age. Your gal is an 18 year old truck. Its best to do what I did on my last car and replace both, just due to age. Also check your external air register too. Even though your on recirculate, most modern cars still take in external air periodically or continuously through a smaller orifice to keep things ventilated and drier. Although expensive it gives you piece of mind, with new components. Nine out of ten you replace one thing and the other part of the system fails so why not replace both to save over all expense and to keep said component from affecting other parts from it breaking. That's my logic is all.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Foam on the flaps deteriorates, causing airflow to decrease as the air isn’t going strictly to one mode vs another (put your hand up by the glass & if you feel cool air when not using defrost the internal foam seals for the flaps has deteriorated). You can fix it by resealing the entire blower assembly. Or it could just be a sticking recirulating flap motor.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:17 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for all the info. I have already replaced the blower motor and the resistor and the part that has the fins to make sure it was not blocked up. I do have air coming up the front window when it is set on dash vents. Enough that it actually clouds the outside of the window with moisture from the humidity. Im also getting a fc 21,22 fault code on the ac head unit in the dash. Sounds like the blower baffle box is just wore out. I never thought of that. Is that hard replace and can you still get knew baffle boxes for the disco 2. What is involved in replacing that thing? Sounds like major dash removal. I would assume it would be better to let a rover mechanic take care of that. What are your thoughts. Thank you again for all the help. The knowledge on this forum is amazing. Joe

Last edited by lndrover@carolina.rr.com; 08-10-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course were all here to help. Id personally would just deal with it. If the a/c works then that's a plus. Do what I did on my 99 D2 and buy some supertech freon at walmart for 18 dollars and fill her up to 45-47 psi air is ice cold. I usually go the first little line into the yellow is 47 psi, but that's because A small leak was repaired and I like to have a ounce extra in is all. You'll exceed the cost of the car repairing a door in the dashboard.