Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Complete Motor Rebuild/Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II Complete Motor Rebuild/Swap

Hey everyone,
Ive been browsing this forum alot and im also trying to part out one of my Land Rovers. This is a great community for our trucks and all of you seem very respectful/nice.

Anyways, this is my first land rover and I cleared out a spot in my garage tonight and Im now working on a final decision on what to do. Firstly, I want to swap a 350 into it. 350's in my area are like candy. My questions are on the adapters that are already available for the D1's (forget the company) if they will work on my D2. Im looking for a little more power with the crappy gas mileage we already get, and yes I know, Its not going to turn into a 10 second drag car. I do a decent bit of towing.

Second option of coarse is a rebuild on this crap 4.0 that we have all been gifted with. I have no idea what it would cost for that yet. If I do rebuild, everything will be new. As I said, this is my first land rover. I know hardly anything about them. Im from a Honda background. I would have a Boosted H22 in it already if it was possible.

Anyways, any tips would be great. Ive used the search function too look for some things but I also have no idea what the hell to search for. I could not find anything on a 350 in a D2, Only in a D1.

Thanks,
-Kevin

Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

look at recent posts by Erictyrrell for good pix and saga of first time rebuild.

With respect to the 350, the extra HP makes issues for everything else down stream, that wasn't built for that power, and suspension.

D2 has so much electronics you'ld have to remove, bypass, or re-engineer.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
look at recent posts by Erictyrrell for good pix and saga of first time rebuild.

With respect to the 350, the extra HP makes issues for everything else down stream, that wasn't built for that power, and suspension.

D2 has so much electronics you'ld have to remove, bypass, or re-engineer.
I hear that. Just by looking at the ECU in this makes me freak.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

You have seven "X" CU widgets that control (and sometimes fight over) various parts of the vehicle. Tranny has a computer, etc., etc. Not saying it can't be done, because it has. But you'll spend all your time on it and not have play time with the truck.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there are kits for sbc in DI and RR I have not seen a kit for a DII. A later model 4.6 short block will bolt right in and give you some more power. I dont see what year your truck is, so if you dont have secondary air you will have to use your old heads or better a set of 4.2 heads.
if you go an of the british webs site MG, Rover, TVR they make 500hp out of these motors. of course it is not cheap they use flanged liner for sleeve and head stud kit (arp) instead of head bolts.
if you want to work on a sbc to Disco II Swap kit, you would be the first on the market and I'm sure you could sell a quite few.

Last edited by drowssap; 12-01-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by drowssap
there are kits for sbc in DI and RR I have not seen a kit for a DII. A later model 4.6 short block will bolt right in and give you some more power. I dont see what year your truck is, so if you dont have secondary air you will have to use your old heads or better a set of 4.2 heads.
if you go an of the british webs site MG, Rover, TVR they make 500hp out of these motors. of course it is not cheap they use flanged liner for sleeve and head stud kit (arp) instead of head bolts.
if you want to work on a sbc to Disco II Swap kit, you would be the first on the market and I'm sure you could sell a quite few.
I will definitely start research on that tonight. Ive also seen secondary air floating around? If anyone cares to explain what this is exactly or post a link. Also, my truck is a 2001.

Thanks,
-Kevin

Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Save yourself a lot of trouble, and save time waiting on someone to put down their merlot or Miller or milkshake to get back to you. The whole set of factory shop manuals are free to download below. SAI is a system that injects air into the manifold with an electric pump for a short period of time when engine is first cranked under a certain set of conditions, to act like an after-burner and burn off some extra rich fuel. It protects all things that have a pulse, from polecats to politicians (and that a'int too far). Find it under emmissions.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been doing some reading and I wanted to bring it up since it is relivant. The 4.0L block, can it be stroked to a 4.6L by swapping just the 4.6L crank/rods/pistons? or even 5.0L?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kevinb91
I will definitely start research on that tonight. Ive also seen secondary air floating around? If anyone cares to explain what this is exactly or post a link. Also, my truck is a 2001.

Thanks,
-Kevin
s

Hi Kevin, I am in the process of rebuilding my 2001. I am sticking with the original block; installing all sleeves with the ductile flanges.

With some updates you can get the performance you need from the 4.0. It is actually a pretty cool engine; you'll see what I mean as you disassemble it. If it weren't for the the stupid sleeves the motors would be bullet proof. I would never mess with a 350 swap in a Disco II. I was very impressed with the motor before the sleeve leak ruined it for me. Especially off road. They are amazing. As time goes by I believe the Disco II's will be sought after and their value will increase significantly; nothing else feels like a Disco II.
How is yours coming along; are you sticking with the 4.0/4.6 motor?
Keith
Bountiful, Utah.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Three Wheeling

I don't think there are many hotrodders on this forum. Seems like there will certainly a lot of electronic issues to deal with. I don't believe for one minute it is impossible. After all, the Rover engine is a super developed Buick V8. I'm sure a lot has changed since Rover bought the design from GM in the 60's. A SBC iron block is very heavy by comparason. Probably not much more on the front axle than a fat owner and spouse (well, really fat). Unless you are a good fabricator and electronics wiz, you'll probably be much happier with a Rover rebuild with the best available parts and techniques. SBCs are dime a dozen, but all the added work and complications of the swap will probably put the cost the same or more, not to mention the time. On the other hand, if you can get the trans to shift and you don't mind losing some electronic functions that may already be out, a SBC with carb and electronic distributor should work fine. If it can power a dune buggy, it can make a Rover go down the road. Hell, drop in a manual trans while you are at it and you'll have something everyone wants - a V8 with no chance of a slipped liner, an oil pump that won't crack, rockers without little tips that come loose and rattle, about 1000 cam grind choices and a clutch. Keep us posted.

Last edited by trp34; 12-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Disco II Complete Motor Rebuild/Swap