Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II intermittent keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 AM
Drifting
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Disco II intermittent keyless entry

Hello,
I have a 2000 Disco II. The keyless entry sometimes locks and unlocks the doors / sometimes not. It may work or not work for short periods of time or long periods of time. I have not been able to see any rhyme or reason to when it works or doesn't work. I did try replacing the battery in the key fob.
I have read what I can find in the RAVE and looked at the circuit diagrams. I haven't really figured out the circuit diagrams though, they're different than anything I'm used to.
At any rate I read that the signal from the key fob goes to the receiver, then to the BCU, then to the IDM, and the IDM actually send the command to the lock actuators.
My CDL (central door locking) switch works all the time, and locking / unlocking the doors by using the key in the drivers door lock works all the time, so I don't believe the problem is due to any inputs (door open, bonnet open, etc), and I don't believe the other locking / unlocking methods would work if the problem was downstream of the BCU.
I think I just have to figure out where I'm losing the signal. If I understand things right my problem should be the receiver, power to the receiver, the BCU, or the connection between the receiver and BCU. I'm hoping it's just a bad connection somewhere. There is a chart of pin inputs / outputs in the RAVE that I can use to identify where to test for signal. I believe I should see some voltage at the receiver input to the BCU when I hit the button on the key fob.
l'm not real sure of my analysis and plan. Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks,
Brett

Last edited by Sub-arctic Rover; 01-23-2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 01-23-2016, 03:57 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Try looking at the receiver. They sometimes get water damage from a leaking sunroof or the connector has come loose/ damaged from a headliner installer.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:12 AM
Drifting

No sunroof, but when I posted my thread it brought up related posts, which led me to some other things, like a service bulletin. I guess the receivers failing is not uncommon, and can be intermittent before they go out. I'm leaning toward it being the receiver now. I would like to confirm before I buy a receiver though so I will look at the contacts at the receiver and try to test for signal to the BCU first.
Thanks for the input.
Brett

Old 01-23-2016, 05:03 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Without sunroofs you will have to drop the headliner to access it.

You might want to secure one so its ready to install while the headliner is out if that's your problem. They are pretty cheap.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:50 AM
Drifting

Thanks Abran, I'll consider that.