Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Intermittent stall and battery dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:32 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disco II Intermittent stall and battery dead

I have a 2003 discovery II with about 145000 miles. I have been having an intermittent stalling issue while driving. Shut the car off for a few minutes and it will start and drive again. The problem seems to happen more often in cold weather, and I seem to have a slow battery draw when the car is symptomatic. For instance, it stalled on my way to work. restarted after about 2 minutes. Strong battery at that time. got to work and let the car sit until lunch (about 3 hours). When I tried to go to lunch the battery was completely dead. Not even enough power to make the solenoid click. No accessories were left on. This has happened a few times, battery dead for no reason, especially when very cold out. If I jump the car it will restart with no problem. Also, when it stalls and won't restart right away, it will run on starter spray, but then dies, so I seem to have spark, but not fuel.

I have replaced the CPS, and the fuel relay. Fuel pump was replaced about 2 years (15,000 mi.) ago.

when the car does restart, it sometimes seems like it wants to start but doesn't quite have the fuel pressure to start, then a few minutes later it will start.

I checked the inertia switch. It was not tripped, and I unplugged and replugged the plug at the inertia switch. It looked clean.

At this point I am thinking there is a short somewhere.

This seems to be a fairly common issue on the message boards, but I have done the typical recommendations and the condition has not changed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if there is any other info I can provide that would help with the diagnosis.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM
4th Gear

Battery was also replaced (twice) in pursuit of this problem.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:39 AM
4th Gear

Fresh battery ground cable also installed.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Sound a little more complicated than this... The battery clamps are crap on these cars.

Are you sure they are tight? I have used a small machine screw and drove it in between the post and the clamp to ensure its tight.

Worth a try, simple and easy.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:09 AM
4th Gear

I replaced the ground cable. The replacement has a clamp more like you see on domestic cars. Not the funky nut on the top of the clamp nonsense that was on there. Anyway, I am certain that the connections at the battery are good.