Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II and the peasky Dealer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012 | 03:47 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by robertwsimpson
why so set against going to the dealer?
Seriously? You've never owned a Rover that's out of warranty, have you?

Spend some more time reading threads on this and other LR forums. You'll quickly figure it out for yourself.

Old 10-11-2012 | 04:04 PM
Rock Crawling

I have an 04 and the only trip to a dealer was to pick up the fuel filler door clip. I didn't want to pay to ship a $4-5 part.

I bought it with 87K. It now has 118K. I knew absolutely nothing about Disco's when I bought it, but with the help of this forum and the people on it, I've done everything from rebuilding the propshaft, to wires/plugs, brakes/rotors, etc. The only thing I took her to an independent shop for was to replace the throttle body heater; Only because I didn't feel like doing that and the coolant flush myself. I also had new tires mounted (yesterday.) That's it!

I own a cheap $65 Actron scanner and an ABS Amigo ($200) and an Ultragauge ($69? Can't remember.) They all do what I need them to do in order to help me diagnose and keep an eye on the temps.

So, it is very possible to own an 04 DII without it ever seeing the dealer. Download the RAVE, read up on the writeups, post here for help and you'll be A-OK! I've saved thousands already... not to mention how empowering it is to know the ins and outs of your rig.

-Anthony

Old 10-11-2012 | 04:14 PM
TReK

disco twos have three issues, ecu, abs and new keys if you want them. Other then that its an independant that knows what he is doing. Otherwise if you think a dealer is expensive they will kill you on misdiagnosis and bad parts.

Old 10-11-2012 | 11:01 PM
|
Rock Crawling

All, thanks for the info. I don't have a problem with the dealers, they just have a business model built around servicing new high end cars which is totally understandable. Can't really justify their rates on a nearly ten year old enthusiast car, sucks the fun right out of it. Sounds like a scanner, beer, and some good ol DYI'n and a Disco isn't so intimidating. Thanks again.

Old 10-12-2012 | 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Well, that high dollar business model does provide a reference point that makes moderate priced indy shops look like the bargain they are, plus you usually get a better diagnostician. And for DIY shade tree home brewed fun, it is hard to beat wrenching on a Rover. As for the scanner, consider the Ultra Gauge ($70) - scanner, resets codes, displays what you want (like coolant temp), even alarms if SWMBO is ignoring heat gauge while on the way to the mall.

Attached Thumbnails Disco II and the peasky Dealer question-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012 | 06:52 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by dswilly
All, thanks for the info. I don't have a problem with the dealers, they just have a business model built around servicing new high end cars which is totally understandable. Can't really justify their rates on a nearly ten year old enthusiast car, sucks the fun right out of it. Sounds like a scanner, beer, and some good ol DYI'n and a Disco isn't so intimidating. Thanks again.
ah makes sense.

Old 10-12-2012 | 06:54 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Well, that high dollar business model does provide a reference point that makes moderate priced indy shops look like the bargain they are, plus you usually get a better diagnostician. And for DIY shade tree home brewed fun, it is hard to beat wrenching on a Rover. As for the scanner, consider the Ultra Gauge ($70) - scanner, resets codes, displays what you want (like coolant temp), even alarms if SWMBO is ignoring heat gauge while on the way to the mall.
whoa that thing is cool. and for $70?! I had one of those on my Mazda, but it was more like $250! I'll have to check that out for the wrangler. it's always got a light on. (luckily it is very easy to check the code on a wrangler without a scanner!)

Old 10-12-2012 | 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Old 10-12-2012 | 10:07 AM
4wd Low

I'm glad the guy who just bought my dash hawk on ebay didn't know about this thing!

Old 10-12-2012 | 10:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Yup. Owning an out-of-warranty Rover and an Ultragauge should go hand in hand.

Search the forums for Ultragauge and you'll find tons of info, pics, experiences, etc.

It ends up costing about $60 after you get a rebate check... about a year later.

-Anthony

Quick Reply: Disco II and the peasky Dealer question