Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II SAI not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II SAI not working

Hello everyone,

I have an 03 Disco. The secondary air just stopped working and its throwing codes related to the SAI. It doesn't kick on in the morning like usual.

Is there anything obvious that I need to check?

Any recommendations before I start ripping into this thing?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jump power to the pump and see if it turns on. If it doesn't the pump is most likely seized.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. I was curious if you would get a code if your pump didn't operate so I pulled the electrical connector to the pump and ran the truck, no code. I'm not aware of any sensor in the system that senses this air pressure created by the pump. There is a valve that turns on or off vacuum to the SAI control valves but I didn't think this an input for emissions.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been battling the SAI pump as well. From what i have found the SAI doesnt kick in every time i start the car. only when it cold. so if you unplug it and drive it wont always throw a code. but if it tries to run PUMP and it doesnt work it should throw a code. mine does within a few minuets after start, but only if the SAI id activated. i can tell when its activated and pump is off because it sounds like exhaust leak while the SAI system has the exhause open, and if pump is not working then exhaust pumps backwards thru sap pump hose and sounds like exhaust leas for a few min, then when SAI system turns off it goes away.

if i were you you, my first step would be to give the pump alittle power and see if it spins. if so, check the silenoid that opens and closes the valve on exhaust. and always the first thing should be to check fuses. not sure which fuse if for this, but use a test light and check them all.

good luck

Old 07-06-2016, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

The monitor for the SAI system doesn't run very often on a lot of vehicles. Eventually, it will give a trouble code for it. Sometimes the pump housing can fill with water over time. You may find a fuse specifically for the SAI pump motor. That's where I would start.