Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Stange clunk in steering - Advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disco II Strange clunk in steering - Advice needed...

For reference - 2000 Disco II, 122,000 miles - ACE Package

I just recently rebuilt the front driveshaft in my Disco II, installed an EBC Performance Rotor and pads kit and replaced the track rod (the ends had significant play).

When I make the 90 degree left hand turn into my cul-de-sac I am turning off of level ground and then heading down a slight hill (all pavement). Just as I get the steering wheel back to the center position, I feel a very slight clunk, just as I'm passing the center position on my way to turning right in my driveway.

I have not replaced the drag link or the steering stabilizer. Could either of these items be causing this slight clunk? The ends on the drag link seem to be in good shape with very little play.

Could it possibly be the steering rack?

Could it possibly be the ball end on the ACE package where the rod connects to the stabilizer bar up inside the left front wheel well?

I don't notice this every time I turn, but in this particular set of circumstances, it seems to happen nearly every time.

Appreciate any insight you can provide...

Jeff

Last edited by TripleThreat; 05-12-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Rock Crawling

anyone?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:51 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you get a hard "clunk" or is it more of a vibration and feedback in the steering wheel?

I had the vibration/feedback issue every time I turned into the parking lot at work (90 degree right, up a slight slope, similar to you). I recently sucked all of the PS fluid (and DIRT) I could out of the reservoir and replaced with Royal Purple fluid and have not had any issues since.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Rock Crawling

It's more of a clunk and it is not accompanied by any feedback in the steering wheel. It is felt more through the floorboard in the bottom of my left foot...

Seems to have gotten worse in the last couple of days. I'm beginning to think that it might be one of the rod ends on the drag link.

Probably will end up replacing the entire drag link, or the rod ends along with the steering stabilizer...

Old 05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

get the truck off the ground and see if there is any play in the wheel top to bottom.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleThreat
It's more of a clunk and it is not accompanied by any feedback in the steering wheel. It is felt more through the floorboard in the bottom of my left foot...

Seems to have gotten worse in the last couple of days. I'm beginning to think that it might be one of the rod ends on the drag link.

Probably will end up replacing the entire drag link, or the rod ends along with the steering stabilizer...
Well I will be watching this thread...i have the same issue. Hasn't gotten any worse in about 6 mos, but it clunks if I move the steering wheel back and forth across center. I have been under there pulling and pushing on everything I could, and tightened everything that can be tightened...still have a clunk.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OMG yes I have the same problem!!

It clunks when I turn left clunks when I turn right, multiple clunks when I break and one or two when I accelerate.

NO THE WHEEL IS NOT LOOSE NOR THE HUB..

We really need to figure this out.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Pro Wrench

We need to figure this out and mine is on a 1998 discovery with 97k

Old 05-15-2010, 02:52 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check for anything loose and check for play in the ujoints of the steering box and wheel. Check for everything tight including all the bolts on the suspension.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Pro Wrench

I cant let this thread die. I want this fixed!

I went under the truck with a rubber hammer and beat around, found nothing in the stearing, other than the front springs resonating when being hit, but thats not the sound I hear when it knocks anyway..

We have to figure this out!!

I tightened the shock tower nuts, well one of them, it seemed pretty easy to tighten, I mean it wasn't easy but it didnt feel tight either, I was afraid I might strip the bolts so I stopped

Quick Reply: Disco II Stange clunk in steering - Advice needed...