Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II towed while in park

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seals do go bad when sitting because they dry out. I figure they will pull the pan and take a look see. thats all they can really do. anything else and they would have to pull the tranny apart. I dont think with the t-case in neutral there was any damage. but a flush is something that should be done anyway. now if this is a used engine make sure they put new head gaskets in it.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Drifting

if the t-case is in neutral all the driveshafts will do is spin freely. the trans wont spin but it does not matter. with the trans in park and the t-case in neutral its like a windmill. the top spins but the base stands still.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cybercop
Ok, the T-Case was in neutral. I put it in low and front tire would just move a little either way. Put in High, same thing. Put back in neutral and tire would spin freely.

Would that mean I am completely out of the woods?

The shop does plan to flush the transmission and inspect (whatever that means). What could go wrong sitting, other than seals?
Yes you should be in the clear. With the T-Case in "N" only the tires and drive shafts are moving but nothing is engaged in the T-Case and the only resistance would be from the parking brake. As long as it was released then it was free wheeling with no risk of damage.

Seals and old fluid sitting for a long time not moving can clog up passage ways in the transmission. The shops inspection should be good if they are a decent shop.

Last edited by Jared9220; 08-03-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Drifting

actually they probably wont even pull the pan. probably just look for leaks. but a flush is a maintence item that should be done. have them put some lucas transmission stuff in it too. not the lucas conditioner, the stuff that says transmission fix on the bottle. but if they do pull the pan and put a new filter in it thats good too. but that is something that you can do yourself.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Please, if you see fit and feel generous, please advise me on anything else you think I should look at.

And thanks for putting my mind at ease that my trans is probably ok.

Thank God somebody accidentally put the T into neutral!

Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

You should read the owners manual that all these Rovers come with ...buy one on ebay or something if you dont have one. You need to read up on how the 4-wheel/all-wheel drive system works. It's good to have a manual in the rig at all times, I carry the shop manual in mine.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

do not flush your transmission, just replace the fluid and filter. and I wouldnt put anything in there but transmission fluid

Old 08-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
do not flush your transmission, just replace the fluid and filter. and I wouldnt put anything in there but transmission fluid

X2. That's the best way to get air in your tranny.

I'm curious as to how the T-Case was put into neutral without someone first putting the transmission into neutral?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
I'm curious as to how the T-Case was put into neutral without someone first putting the transmission into neutral?
That's a very good question.

This is my hypothesis:

Since the truck sat for 4 years not running, my guess is that it was towed to that spot. Whoever towed the truck 4 years ago probably put the T-Case in Neutral for the tow and when they dropped it off they probably just moved the gear shifter to park to get the key out and left the T-Case in Neutral.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

The owners manual does say that to flat tow it should be transfer case in neutral, transmission in park. Maybe whoever towed it last read the manual?

Quick Reply: Disco II towed while in park