Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Transmission failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco II Transmission failure?

Hello,

I was hoping somebody could give me some advice on the following issue. While driving my 2000 Disco II with 157K on it I accelerated to merge onto a freeway.

The engine revved high but no power I then coasted to the side of the road.

I can tell you the transmission fluid had not been changed for some 40K miles may be more, since I got it. I must have missed that as I changed all the other fluid.

I got towed home and set about draining the transmission and fitting a new filter, I also flushed the cooling radiator just in case. There was a small amount of the grey fur around the magnet but nothing else I could see.

It was filled and is exactly the same. When you shift to D you can hear a solenoid clunk from the transmission area and the revs may be rise 200-300 in preparation for take off, but it does not move. There is not even the take up of gear back lash in the transfer case.

It has been suggested that its probably the Torque convertor. What do you all think.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check for something broken in the driveline. axleshaft or diff. Have someone peek under your car while your in it with the trans in drive and see if the front or rear driveshaft is spinning.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

These transmissions do not just go out like that, something broke in the driveline or the transfer case shifter got moved to neutral.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Paul, all you need to do is have some one start the engine and put it in drive while you watch both the front and rear drive shaft to see if either of them are turning while the truck is just sitting. Also, when you put it in drive, do your engine RPM's drop as they would normally?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:44 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

The good news is - you don't report that any transmission lights are on.
So, the transmission thinks things are fine.

If you lost your fluid - you would not move.

If you check the fluid with the engine off - it will come tumbling out as the fluid is filled with the engine running.

If you pull off the fluid fill cap with the engine off and no fluid comes out - then that is your problem. Fluid went out via a breach in a hose or a connection.

---
I would try to shift the transfer case from hi range to low range and back.
Make sure you did not bump the transfer case handle or a kid did not screw with it and put it near N neutral.

As Mike said - then go to drive and look at the drive shafts.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi,
Reread your initial post.
My bet is that you have no fluid in the transmission.
Or, not enough to run it.

Look around for fluid leaks of transmission fluid.
There should be droplets of it under the rover.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 PM
8th Gear
Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone's advice.

Once I get back from work (in Mexico). I will check this out I made a list of the things I had checked and seen and forgot to look at it before posting the initial question but here they are anyway:

NO MIL or Check engine light
NO OBD codes reported.

So this is good news.

Thanks
again all, what a great group.

Paul.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:36 PM
8th Gear
Default More info

Also forgot to mention:

The revs actually rise slightly when it goes from N to D or P to D.

I changed the transmission fluid and filter, quite sure its filled followed the procedure in RAVE to refill.

Have tried it in Both H - L setting the same symptoms appear.

Thanks again.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
8th Gear

Hello,

The trip to Mexico took a bit more out of me that I expected plus its just broken the 100F mark here in NC.

I Looked under the vehicle while the engine was running in D - 3 - 2 - 1 and R and could see no movement from either drive shaft, not even a bump when switching from P - D. Tried this is both H and L setting and the same result. Good news is there are no leaks from my transmission fluid change and fluid cooler flush.

The parking solenoid is working as the transmission and all four wheels are locked when in P.

What is the next step, investigate the transfer case and mid differential? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Paul.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
8th Gear

Another thought: the system would presumably detect a loss in transmission fluid pressure and or a solenoid failure. So what else could be causing this? As I said I see no codes on the OBD II port or the MIL or Check engine light do not come on.

In N I can push the vehicle as normal.

Thanks
Paul.

Quick Reply: Disco II Transmission failure?