Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Waterfall sound under glovebox NO HEAT

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

E-Mail me your tele nuimber and I will call you later today, in the mean time, drive your truck as little as possible before you toast your engine.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok I I heard this as well

Sorry new to the forum but I just bought a 2002 disco 2. It runs well and I have put about 400 miles on it since I bought it last Friday. 2 things to bring up. Service Engine Soon and No heat unless driving with water sound.

I understand the Service engine soon can be all kinds of things and I am going to see if it clears and or have auto zone clear it and see if it comes back.

Now the waterfall sound. I had heard this but did not know what it was. Of course did not hear it when purchasing the vehicle. I see from a previous post that this can be a water pump going out? Also it can be air in the line? The vehicle has 54000 miles on it. Is this common for the age? What are my first steps?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Get the codes read, do not clear them until repairs are made.
As for the low coolant, this can be acuse from hoses, head gasket, water pumps, you name it. Are you able to pressure test the coolant system?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Mudding
Default Got codes

I got the codes for the service engine. It was P0455. I also checked the coolant and it was a little low with engine warm. I will wait until it is cool and top it off. Shoudl I then just monitor the level?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Mudding
Default Done and done

Ok so I have gotten my hands dirty. My waterfall sound was from a hole in the radiator. It only leaked if you topped of the fluids. I assume that the previous owner new this abut whatever. I should have noticed that the coolant was not full. Car did not overheat and collant was not empty of course just low. So anyways I topped off the fluids and wolla, leak. It was in the top left corner of the radiator. Has a small circlular seem that was leaking. I am broke from buying the disco in the first place so shelling out the cash was not a great option. Plus I want to take a bigger role in this car. Never really worked on cars before. So I found a radiator shop that had a new radiator in stocl. Olson radiators in okc. They charged me 210 for it. I purchased the collant and a wide pan to catch the collant. Most of it missed the pan. Promissed wife not to make mess so stopped immediatly and performed coast guard level clean up. Then spent way to long trying to decide how to get the old radiator out. It almost looks like you will have to remove some of the front gril and such. Wow do not go down that path. It is dark and angry. I found a post where a user suggested taking out the battery and plastic bin that houses the battery and also pulling out the airfilter. I went this rout and found it to be a very reasonable approach. Once out you have access to the lower 4 screws that are very hard to get to other wise. I used a philips screw driver that has a 45 degree bend at the end. It works ok but you will have limited ablity to put pressure on it so be careful as you could strip the screws. I bet a ratchet would work but mine had too much travel in it. Cheap. from there it was very streightforward.

So anyone trying to decide on doing this yourself, go for it.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

I had the guys at the corner bleed the system to get rid of the sloshing sound, $137. Drove the vehicle for 3 days , it was fine, and then afterdriving approx 10 miles today, turned the heat on while stationary and the car overheated and its leaking coolant ? Turned off immediately. Turned it back on, stationary, no heater on..did not overheat. But i didnt drive it home. Noticed coolant had been leaking in my driveway when i got home. Any ideas what went wrong ??

Old 03-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

So when cold, fill your coolant bottle to the lid and then tow or drive it to a shop that is close so they can pressure test the system to find and repair the leak.
By the way, that shop that charged you over $100 just to bleed to coolant system is a thief.
You may have a bad head gasket so make sure whoever looks at the truck knows what they are doing. Let us know what you find and their estimate for repairs.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM
4th Gear

Thanks Disco Mike. I love this forum.

I say bleed because thats the lingo I picked up from you guys...not really sure what it meant but asked my guy to do it - with authority!! They pressure tested it and flushed the whole coolant system, added new coolant etc...i live in the suburbs of NYC...nothings cheap so anything around $100 doesnt raise a red flag.

so i had it brought back (on a flatbed) they found a leak in the gasket on one of the 2 lines going into the throttle body. There was still plenty of visible coolant in the the place you ad coolant. But it was dripping down from that throttle area onto the exhaust and the steam made it look like a disaster.

They replace the gasket and have it running.....say its fine so far. No charge. Does that sound right

The dopes that did the oil change also put about a quart too much oil in...had them empty that out while they were at it. is that damaging ?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
4wd Low

Hello all.

This is all great info as I am having the same issue. Can someone clearly define how to properly "bleed", so I can attemp it?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Mudding

Wow. I just came on the forum because I am dealing with a similar issue...this was the first post on top of the board!

Irma is sucking coolant like crazy. I first noticed because my heat wasn't working. Filled it with coolant. Checked coolant this morning (after having just filled it 5 or so days ago) and it was low again. I know I must have a leak somewhere. Looks like from what I have read I need to bleed the system and find the leak.

Crap. This is a bummer. She was doing so well too!

Edited to add: I had the gurgling noise this weekend. It sounded like it was coming from behind the diagram for my 4wd (almost behind the radio) in my console.

Last edited by AnnelieseMae; 03-26-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: additional info.

Quick Reply: Disco II Waterfall sound under glovebox NO HEAT