Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco II Waterfall sound under glovebox NO HEAT

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The factory gaskets are crap. They die young on all Discoveries, especially the D2. If your coolant hasn't been properly flushed and replaced it will get corrosive and eat the gaskets. Once the original head gaskets are replaced you shouldn't have to do it again for a long, long time provided you change the coolant every 2 years like you're supposed to.

If your SO is mechanically inclined he and you should be able to handle replacing the head gaskets. It's a time consuming project but not difficult. The gasket sets are not very expensive. Make sure to get new head bolts when you order the gaskets. The factory bolts stretch and can't be reused. Most of the charge for a mechanic replacing head gaskets is the labor. When I had my head gaskets done it was $900 in labor. I hate to see you get rid of Irma when the repair you can do yourself.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that he can do it...I'm totally willing to help. He's working on his uncle's VW dune buggy right now. He took a look at the repair manual and realized how time consuming it would be. I'm still going to try to convince him to do it. Around $300 for parts and a lot of time or potentially two months worth of a pay check.

I wish I wasn't so far from Phoenix...I know one of the guys in AZLRO would help...

EDITED TO ADD: So, it would seriously be cheaper for me to pay someone from AZLRO gas money and put them in a hotel for the weekend to fix my gaskets than it would for me to take it to a mechanics shop.

Weekend in Jerome anyone? I'll put you up in the nicest Inn we have!!!!

Last edited by AnnelieseMae; 03-27-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: more information
Old 07-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating 2000 disco

My 2000 disco has 200,000 miles is overheating and no heat. My radiator is cold when the hoses aren't. Losing coolant through overflow and excess pressure. Have bled system and still no heat and the overheating. Before the heat stopped it was keeping me drivable. I'm Willing to do head gaskets should I just order them and a thermostat and see what happens and maybe a water pump? No bad noises but heard waterfall sounds I the weeks leading up to this week. Any help much appreciated !!