Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco IIs considered crap?..Please read and advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco IIs considered crap?..Please read and advise

Hey guys...You have already given me a ton of help with diagnosing my m/s green blinking light problems and informing me about the potentially catastrophic issues with my front drive shaft...now I want to know...In the Rover world of the people on this forum, are Diso II's crap?

Is it perhaps just certain years that are crap?...like maybe my 03?

My wife wants to get rid of this thing so bad because it has had several minor probs...and as we all know minor probs on a Rover are not cheap!

I have actually put it up for sale a couple of times but at her urge but nobody seems remotely interested except for a 70 yr old grandma who wanted to swap me for her cadillac.

I love my Disco for its style, for its on road and off-road prowess and for stacking a crap load of gear on the roof rack and taking off, but I have read some threads where posters have urged others not to buy Disco II's and specifically 03' Disco II's. It has 55,000 on it now. Should I get aggressive about selling this thing or trading it in before a major catastrophe? What is the probability of my 03 Disco II lasting 150,00 miles with out some major drive train issue that will break the bank?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

have you checked your VIN for an oil pump issue? Do a search, there is a VIN range for bad oil pumps.

D2 aren't crap. They all have their quirks. Make sure and re-build your front driveshaft and keep all of your fluids changed and topped off. You will be fine.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand your concern. Our cars can last well over 150k with care and PREVENTIVE maintenance. I love my 03 and wouldn't trade it for anything except a 2004 version of it.

My 03 falls out of the vin range but one never knows. I plan on installing an oil pressure gauge to monitor my oil psi and once it starts to be inconsistent (indicating it's getting weak) i may install a brand new oil pump to last me another 60k plus miles. beats buying an engine in my opinion.

If you can properly take care of your current issues, rebuild the driveshaft, conduct regular maintenance, grease the driveshafts, have proper fluids in all areas, and drain coolant every 2 years and never,never, ever let it got hot, you WILL be good for a very long time. The more you take care of it, the longer it will last...

I personally love it's style too and how different it looks compared to today's SUVs.
There's nothing like it.

JUST MY OPINION.

(I also work on my Disco myself so it's cheaper for me that way, i couldn't afford my Disco if i had to pay someone to do what i have done)

Old 03-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Not that I am in the market, but how much are you asking for it?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Rock Crawling

"nobody seems remotely interested except for a 70 yr old grandma who wanted to swap me for her cadillac."

You didnt give details about this encounter but, DUDE - you may have XXXked up there always, always, I mean ALWAYS go see what granny has in the barn. You may have missed out on a '63 split window or heck I'd swap my Disco for a 59 Caddy tommorrow (maybe, condition). After reading this reflect on the stories you've read or heard about the guy that went to buy a mustang and granny took him to the barn and showed him a mint Shelby Cobra (the real one), he drove away for 500 bucks.

Other than that I'm keeping mine.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with NiteTrain, if it had been the Caddy that Tubb's drove in Miami Vice...

DII's are more expensive to fix than a DI because of all the electronics and some of the poor design that BMW put into it when they owned Rover.
The double cardon is one of their ideas.
How long have you owned this truck?
When was the last time you had the coolant changed?
Are you using only premium gas?
Can you do any repairs/maintence yourself?
There are things that you can do to help keep your potential repair costs down, like not rolling down the windows unless you really need to, so dont use the drive thru at Starbucks, go inside.
Lube the door handle on the cargo door every 6 months with silicon spray.
Read your owners manual, twice and then read it again.
The more you know the better off you will be.
These trucks are like women, they love attention, the more the merrier.
But if you give them all the attention that they want then they will stand by you when the going gets tough.
Your truck will get you anywhere you want to go and will last well into the 200,000 mile range, but you need to tell her that those tires dont make her look fat and that you love that little thing that she does on the highway, you know that thing, that special thing that she has only done for you.
If you want some little tips that all of us who are fanatics abour LR's already know just shout, I will be glad to tell them to you.
It's the little things that count.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Rock Crawling

I have a DI and a DII. The DI is cheaper easier to work on and it is a bit more off road capable as well (no CDL linkage on DII yet). that be said i love the DII. the car is really F-ing hard to work on, but it's got style and Pazsaz. I will never sell either of them.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What is the probability of my 03 Disco II lasting 150,00 miles with out some major drive train issue that will break the bank?

---------------

once there over 80-90k miles, they usually have proven to not have the engine defect, and then are as reliable as any other disco (hahaha). but yeah, if you buy any low millage rover expect, new head gaskets, drive shaft replacement, and odds and ends (window regulators) by 150k. The up side to having these issue's is the price is dirt low compared to other comparable trucks. If you do preventative maintenance by hand, you'll save loads.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 PM
4wd Low

I feel obligated to chime in here with my experience thus far. After working on my girlfriends '99 DII and her dad's Range Rover I am thoroghly unimpressed. I will never buy either.

It might be pretty bold coming on here and sharing that but that's what I'm seeing. I've worked on old triumphs and have dealt with the quirks and frustrations, the British are very good at both. Those bikes were classic, the disco is not. It should act like a modern vehicle. How can they propport to being the offroad/safari king that they believe themselves to be while requiring luxuries like premium gas and extensive maintenance? If I were about to drive off into the wild for extended lengths of time I would choose my '87 F150 over the '99 DII any day (and the Ford has 230k on the clock).

Just my .02. Came on to report how the seat fix went and to look for more info on fixing the rest of the problems on the disco.

Last edited by RocketScott; 03-11-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

RocketScott - Rover can boast about it's off road prowess because they have been to every corner of the Earth and back. Everywhere else in the world they have diesels available that have a lot less electronics to cause problems. Even if it is a modern vehicle, the engine is still 1950's technology from Buick.

Land Rover doesn't make a bad product but they are maintenance extensive. If you don't want to maintain it or can't afford to then it's best not to drive one.

Quick Reply: Disco IIs considered crap?..Please read and advise