Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco IIs considered crap?..Please read and advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had no major trouble with either of my rovers.

If I had to drive a CTS, it would have to be the V but there is no way I would trade my supercharged C6 vette for it.

My disco has sent my searching for a window roller since you can't buy one unless you buy the whole regulator. I am also fighting the three amigos a bit. I don't care about traction control or abs. I might just shut it off. The disco performs fine every day. My only complaint is that is has to many electrical gadjets that are not needed. They didn't need to get fancy. They should have left it crude like my Defender.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:35 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The Disco and the Defender, despite sharing many parts, are very different vehicles. If they were going to leave it crude like the Defender why make 2 different vehicles. I love the Defender and would love to own one but for an all-around vehicle I believe the Disco is a better vehicle. Disco is a better daily driver IMO because of all the fancy stuff. Which is also the reason so many soccer moms drive Discos. If all Land Rover made was a crude vehicle like the Defender they would be non-existent in the States.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

They can have my Disco when they pry it from my cold dead buttocks.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by discodefender
I've had no major trouble with either of my rovers.

If I had to drive a CTS, it would have to be the V but there is no way I would trade my supercharged C6 vette for it.

My disco has sent my searching for a window roller since you can't buy one unless you buy the whole regulator. I am also fighting the three amigos a bit. I don't care about traction control or abs. I might just shut it off. The disco performs fine every day. My only complaint is that is has to many electrical gadjets that are not needed. They didn't need to get fancy. They should have left it crude like my Defender.

wanna go for pinks?

seriously, though. On the roller- do you still have the pieces fron the other one? I took mine and used the really stinky plastic epoxy to fasten it back together. Hold it with vice grips and turn it to keep it from sticking, then used a file to shape it back out. It has held for 2 years now...

I have posted the a couple of times now. I am waiting for it to break because I said something...

Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
wanna go for pinks?

seriously, though. On the roller- do you still have the pieces fron the other one? I took mine and used the really stinky plastic epoxy to fasten it back together. Hold it with vice grips and turn it to keep it from sticking, then used a file to shape it back out. It has held for 2 years now...

I have posted the a couple of times now. I am waiting for it to break because I said something...

No, I wasn't smart enough to save it. I'm going to snag one this weekend at the yard.

Oh, I love the CTS by the way. I want one as a spare car. You may not want that race though. I'm putting over 650RWHP down and can vouch for seeing the speedo pegged and still pulling. I'm waiting for the new CTS-V to come down in price. The car is amazing but so is the sticker.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Disco 1 and while different then Disco 11 it is one of the best vehicles out there. Unfortunately the description of why someone would hate the Disco from just working on it is exactly what plagues the US in the automoblie market. We want everything cheap (gas, parts) and do not want to ever do anything to it. In contrast most countries do not drive the mileage we do and also are in areas that allow much better fuel than we have. If you but a Disco or a Rover in general you are buying it for what it is and represents and are willing to deal with the maintenance issues. We are a group that understand that you must care for a vehicle and not just own a vehicle.

Some of the early Land Rovers would be able to run on bannana oil if needed to get from place to place, show me a FORD that has ever been able to do that. Plus when you love the marque there is not much that keeps you away from it.

Good luck with the FORD, they need your business.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:50 PM
4wd Low

I knew it would be hard coming on here and stating my opinion. I'm in no way bashing or saying Ford is the end all be all of the offroad market. None of you are fools for owning them. I simply would not buy a Land Rover and put more faith in my F150 than I do in my girlfriends Disco or her dad's Range Rover to get me where I want to go.

Every single time I work on the Disco, which has been a lot recently, I run into things that have me shaking my head thinking "Really, that's the way they decided to do this".

Someone brought up a very good point earlier- the US gets hosed by not getting a lot of the cool cars. I'm sure I would be slighly more impressed if the disco had a TDI.

And if I was going to take off around the world it would be by bike.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You would be awful cold riding a bike through Northern Russia.
You can only cross the Bering Straights is in the winter, thats the only time of year that you can drive from Russia to Alaska.
http://www.odysseyshow.com/

Old 03-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by RocketScott
I knew it would be hard coming on here and stating my opinion. I'm in no way bashing or saying Ford is the end all be all of the offroad market. None of you are fools for owning them. I simply would not buy a Land Rover and put more faith in my F150 than I do in my girlfriends Disco or her dad's Range Rover to get me where I want to go.

Every single time I work on the Disco, which has been a lot recently, I run into things that have me shaking my head thinking "Really, that's the way they decided to do this".

Someone brought up a very good point earlier- the US gets hosed by not getting a lot of the cool cars. I'm sure I would be slighly more impressed if the disco had a TDI.

Just sold the last Ford I will own. Have had many. My 03, 04, 05 F250s all had motor replacements before 50,000 miles. My 03 Cobra made it 6,000 miles. I don't want to hear about it or your bike. You need to go to a different site. Good Day to you

Old 03-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by discodefender
Just sold the last Ford I will own. Have had many. My 03, 04, 05 F250s all had motor replacements before 50,000 miles. My 03 Cobra made it 6,000 miles. I don't want to hear about it or your bike. You need to go to a different site. Good Day to you
My dads friend had the same problem with his 250. Always needed motor work done. He sold it and got a GMC, problem free.

Originally Posted by RocketScott

In all seriousness, if you would rather put your faith in a ford than a range rover.. all it shows is your ignorance.

Quick Reply: Disco IIs considered crap?..Please read and advise