Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco IIs considered crap?..Please read and advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by khuds308
I have a DI and a DII. The DI is cheaper easier to work on and it is a bit more off road capable as well (no CDL linkage on DII yet). that be said i love the DII. the car is really F-ing hard to work on, but it's got style and Pazsaz. I will never sell either of them.
I work on my DII all the time. Do most of the maintenance, still have extended warranty so I let them do some stuff.

Anyways, DIIs to me are very easy to work on. The DIs must be childs play.... I don't see how the DII is f-ing hard to work on. What makes it so much harder? The engine is simple, tcase & transmission Rarely fail, thus don't need much work besides fluid. How are DIIs that hard to work on?

Originally Posted by RocketScott
I feel obligated to chime in here with my experience thus far. After working on my girlfriends '99 DII and her dad's Range Rover I am thoroghly unimpressed. I will never buy either.

It might be pretty bold coming on here and sharing that but that's what I'm seeing. I've worked on old triumphs and have dealt with the quirks and frustrations, the British are very good at both. Those bikes were classic, the disco is not. It should act like a modern vehicle. How can they propport to being the offroad/safari king that they believe themselves to be while requiring luxuries like premium gas and extensive maintenance? If I were about to drive off into the wild for extended lengths of time I would choose my '87 F150 over the '99 DII any day (and the Ford has 230k on the clock).

Just my .02. Came on to report how the seat fix went and to look for more info on fixing the rest of the problems on the disco.
I wouldn't trust a ford on a dirt road.... Much less the wild. As AK said, there is a reason the World uses land rovers to get dirty, as well as yotas.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Mudding
Thumbs up

Well for those who ask about it lasting to 150K the answer us a sure YES! My DII is at 150K of hard work with no problems. The only time she moves is when we are in the trails, moving 7 people around, or towing something, usually my 26 foot boat. It has been easy to work on and I have had 2 DIs in the past.

What us Rover owners need to know (and many already do) is that this is an around the world rugged vehicle and there are preventive maintenance procedures that go with that. Fluids need to be changed and you need to be in tune with the vehicle and its needs. She is not a Honda that you just get in and drive with little or no care of maintenance for 300K miles. But a Honda will not take you to the end of the world and back through uncharted territory either. Take care of her and she will reliably take you anywhere as I have experienced with mine. 70% of all Rovers ever made are still on the road today! For 60% of the 3 world population the first car they ever saw was a Rover!

Hope I have made sense.

Enjoy your Rovers,

Fred

Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by xb70valkarye
70% of all Rovers ever made are still on the road today! For 60% of the 3rd world population the first car they ever saw was a Rover!
That was on the land rover commercial haha.

Land Rover is only going to get better. With china buying 10000 land rovers and the UK donating millions to TaTa so they can build the LRX.

I'm so glad that land rover left ford and bmw.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel obligated to chime in here with my experience thus far. After working on my girlfriends '99 DII and her dad's Range Rover I am thoroghly unimpressed. I will never buy either.

It might be pretty bold coming on here and sharing that but that's what I'm seeing. I've worked on old triumphs and have dealt with the quirks and frustrations, the British are very good at both. Those bikes were classic, the disco is not. It should act like a modern vehicle. How can they propport to being the offroad/safari king that they believe themselves to be while requiring luxuries like premium gas and extensive maintenance? If I were about to drive off into the wild for extended lengths of time I would choose my '87 F150 over the '99 DII any day (and the Ford has 230k on the clock).

Just my .02. Came on to report how the seat fix went and to look for more info on fixing the rest of the problems on the disco.
If you knew more about Rovers, or actually drove one, you thoughts would change. As for the fuel, most of the rest of the world has 91 and over for octane ratings. The Disco was not made just for the US.

Have you ever wondered why they have done several expedition trips around the world in Land Rovers and not Ford pickups? There is a reason....

This place is for owners who love their trucks and want to help others fix them. Not for people who don't even own one to bash them. Fixing your girlfriends truck doesn't count.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple of problems here, one, The disco is a classic land rover and will go down in the books as such. See Camel Trophy 1990-1997. It is also the pioneer of family/passenger 4X4 market. When it hit the sales lots, that market hardley even existed, the Discovery started it all, and its off road capabillity, IMO, has never been passed. Also, remember that America is not the only place on earth. Most other countries have the choice of the TDI model, which if available in the US, many of us would own. Also, most of the Land Rover expeditions or safaris were done using the TDI Disco. I respect your input, and I understand that if you have limited knowledge on these vehicles, they may be challenging. It takes time to learn these things, but in the end its worth it.

And im giving you fair warning, if you attempt to take that ford anywhere that the disco has been, you'll be sorry. very sorry. Not even close off road...

Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 AM
4wd High

Here's the story on the grandma thing:

Lady asked if I would be interested in trading the disco dor her 03' Cadi CTS. I replied to her asking details and she never got back to me.--CG

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy

I have both and it would be a tough choice.. Disco is great all of the time for bad weather and hauling stuff. But the caddy is great at hauling one thing.... butt. Had an 03 and have an 04 now. Great on long summer drives...

Old 03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I am impressed with the improvements Caddy has made in both styling and performance in the last 10 years. Prior to that Caddy's were big, slow luxury boats. Given the choice I would have both the CTS and the disco like okdiscoguy. I love a long drive in a luxury car but I also like being able to turn off the paved road and have some fun.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Camel Trophy

The only downfall with the Caddy is the traction control. I programmed a steering wheel button to turn it of. Can't disble it permenantly. My in-laws have a V, and let me tell you, I would rather have that than a vette....

Old 03-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Mudding

Like every other vehicle, they have their pros and cons. I came from a 1995 Wrangler which I still miss every day. Unfortunately, with kids, the dog, a wife, and luggage, the wrangler just wasn't an option anymore.

So what I got were creature comforts, roominess, style, and better 4WD. I know my Discovery II will take me through weather that the Jeep wouldn't have dared. What I lost was the simplicity of a 4cyl+manual transmission with many mechanical controls, cheap parts, cheap gas, and the ability to drive without a top.

All in all it's been a wash. Discovery's are far from perfect, but they aren't crap either. It seems like as long as you offer parts to the Discovery gods quarterly they'll treat you right.

Quick Reply: Disco IIs considered crap?..Please read and advise