Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco problems

I recently bought my first Land Rover. I have always wanted one and finally could afford to get one. Shortly after I purchased it I started noticing things wrong with it. If you LR pros could help me I would appreciate it greatly!!

Problem #1 The check engine light came on and I took it to Autozone and had the code read. It is a P1415. I have looked this up on the internet and it says Secondary Air System, Bank 2, Drive Cycle D: Signal. Is this something the average person can fix? I am not a mechanic by all means but I do have some common knowledge. Also would this be something that would be covered under warranty?

Problem #2 My headlights keep burning out. Low beams and not the high beams. I am replacing the one or both bulbs at least once a month. This is getting old. Any idea what could be causing this?

Problem #3 When it is really cold out and I turn my heater on the heater ducts on the passenger side make a chirping like sound. Is this something anyone else has run into? If so what did you do to solve the noise problem?

Problem #4 It seams like the stopping power of my LR is not very good. The brakes are quiet and they look fine. It is that I am just not use to having to stop a 2.5 ton vehicle? Or should I have the brake system checked out. I wish I could explain this a little better but I certainly have to start braking earlier than I did with my Ford Explorer.

Question #1:Why does everyone choose to use synthetic oil in these? The owners manual does not specify that we have to use synthetic oil. Is there a reason that is not stated in the manuals?

Question #2: Does anyone here have a spare rear windsheild wiper that they can sell me for a decent price?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Disco problems

Welcome to the forum, I am sure that you will learn so much from the knowledge on this forum and this will make your Disco ownership experience a lot of fun. Discos are great vehicles.

Regarding your OBD II code 1415, it is set due to the following:The AIR pump;The AIR pump relay;Hoses or pipes that are leaking;The Check valves that are leaking;Circuits going to the AIR pump and the AIR pump relay;The vacuum bleed valve.

Regarding your low beams burning out; Can you check the voltage at the battery with the engine running at 2000 RPM. What is the voltage value? Is it over 14.7 Volts?

Regarding the chirping noise and the stopping power of your brakes and the synthetic versus dino engine oil, there are great threads on this forum that shed light on these points, try to do a search and see if that will answer your questions.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What year, model and how many miles? Before we can really help we need to know some basic information about the vehicle.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Three Wheeling

When my 03 hadthe PO Code 1415, it was the vacum line that attaches to the SAI Motor. It is located in the back of the engine bay by the firewall on the passenger side. There is a nipple with a small plastic hose that should be attached. I would check that as well, since it is simple

Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
2nd Gear

AK Rover
Sorry forgot to give you the basic information. It is a 2004 Discovery SE7 it has about 57K miles on it. No wrecks no offroad abuse that I know of.

unimoged
Thanks and I will see if my Father in law can help me check the voltage. If it is over the 14.7 volts what does that mean?

tex599
I will certainly look at the vacuum line and see if that is it. Will the service engine light go away if that is the problem and I fix it or do I have to have someone erase the code?

Thanks everyone

Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Mudding

If the internal voltage regulator inside the alternator is defective, it can cause voltage to go above the 14.7. This puts a higher load on the filaments in all the light bulbs and not just the headlights.

You got to tell us more about this issue:
[ul][*]The frequency of changing bulbs.[*]How much do you drive the Disco with the lights on.[*]Are you using cheap no brand bulbs.[*]Are they the right wattage or aftermarket double the wattage spec.[*]Do you leave fingerprints on the glass section when you install them.[/ul]In regards to your OBD code 1415, this explains the process, hope it is not too much:

The PCM turns ON the AIR pump during startup any time engine coolant temperature is above -10°C (14°F). The AIR pump will operate for a maximum of 240 seconds, or until the system enters Closed Loop operation. At the same time the PCM turns the AIR pump OFF, it also de-energizes the integral stop valve solenoid so no air is directed to the exhaust ports.

SYSTEM DISABLE CONDITIONS: The AIR system will be disabled under the following conditions:

* When the PCM recognizes a problem and sets a diagnostic trouble code.
* When the fuel system is operating in Closed Loop.
* The AIR pump has been ON for 240 seconds.
* Engine Speed is greater than 2825 RPM.
* Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) is greater than 96 kPa (14 psi) with Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) over 60 mph.
* MAP is less than 20 kPa (3 psi).
* Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) less than -10°C (14°F).
* Warm up 3-way catalytic converters over temperature detected.
* Short and long term fuel trim are not in their normal ranges.
* Power enrichment is detected.

So, check your hoses, the relays (you need the service manual on CD for location) I doubt the pump has an issue, the miles are too low but it could have been all in short trips causing the pump to run overtime.

Try to reset it with a scanner and see if it comes back on. Disco electronics and software coding are extremely sensitive.