Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Reliablility

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009 | 09:50 PM
|
Team Owner
Default Disco Reliablility

Everybody says how unreliable Land Rovers are, well we took off for ******* MI after work Saturday, 150 miles into our 182 mile trip the tach goes flat and the battery light comes on.
So I turn off the a/c and the stereo, and call my local AutoZone to see if they can give me the number or look up the store in ******* and see if they maybe by chance have a alternator for the truck.
He was no help, none at all.
2nd AutoZone alternator to go bad in 14 months.
So I called information and got the number for the store in *******, explained to him that we were on vacation and what we needed, they couldnt have one until Tues so he called Advanced Auto, they can have one by morning.
We finish our drive, my moms husband is not a mechanic by any means, he is a carpenter.
Using a 1/4" drive socket set and a crecent wrench I was able ro replace the alternator the next morning.
Then we hit the trails, 62 miles of trail time between Sunday and Monday.
So in 2.5 years and 30,000 miles this is the first time that our Land Rover has given us any trouble on the road.
So I guess they are right, they are very unreliable.

Old 07-13-2009 | 09:58 PM
TReK

You know I've had a few things go wrong with mine lately but it does have 110,000 miles on it. I think with all the leases and what not people are just not used to having high mileage vehicles. If I were to describe the Disco engineering it would be eccentric but stout. At least though you can work on them. If I had to shell out $1500 for the head gasket job and $700 for the bad hub and $400 for new wires and plugs then maybe my views would be different. Now only if I can find this freon leak...

Old 07-13-2009 | 11:19 PM
Drifting
Default 132K miles

ya... that and I usually put 100 to 200 miles a day hauling about 300 Lbs of tools around. I did my headgaskets last winter, seated the valves, and gave it a good once over. Other than the occeasional Roto Flex joint, nothing major has really gone wrong. Ive never been stranded. I drive the hell out of this thing believe you me.

Old 07-14-2009 | 03:00 PM
Rock Crawling

i'll have plenty of spare parts for you soon spike

Old 07-14-2009 | 03:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Spike, in your case, it is the Autozone's alternator that is unreliable not the beloved LR. Maybe the one you got from Advanced Auto will last longer.

Old 07-14-2009 | 03:53 PM
|
Team Owner

Yeah I know it was AutoZones fault not the trucks, I was trying to be sarcastic but it doe not always type well.
99-post some pics, I might be interested in some of your parts thats for sure.
Is the truck at your place or a holding yard?

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:22 PM
TReK

In 3 years of owning mine, I have had two major issues, the crank position censor went bad and my AC died (after 9 years of heavy use). Everything else was very minor and i fixed them all on my own. The check engine light has come on 4 times, at most, and its a faulty code that my mechanic searched high and low to find the so called large leak and found nothing. And he's an ex-LR mechanic so I trust him 100%. The only time its been in the shop other than those two times... for oil changes. (one day, I will do them... one day.) So as spike said, truly an unreliable vehicle. How do I stand this truck? Oh and get this, no leaks in three years! Something is wrong.

::knocks on wood::

(just watch me go out the start it tomorrow and it doesnt crank.)

Old 07-14-2009 | 10:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Everybody says how unreliable Land Rovers are, well we took off for ******* MI after work Saturday, 150 miles into our 182 mile trip the tach goes flat and the battery light comes on.
So I turn off the a/c and the stereo, and call my local AutoZone to see if they can give me the number or look up the store in ******* and see if they maybe by chance have a alternator for the truck.
He was no help, none at all.
2nd AutoZone alternator to go bad in 14 months.
So I called information and got the number for the store in *******, explained to him that we were on vacation and what we needed, they couldnt have one until Tues so he called Advanced Auto, they can have one by morning.
We finish our drive, my moms husband is not a mechanic by any means, he is a carpenter.
Using a 1/4" drive socket set and a crecent wrench I was able ro replace the alternator the next morning.
Then we hit the trails, 62 miles of trail time between Sunday and Monday.
So in 2.5 years and 30,000 miles this is the first time that our Land Rover has given us any trouble on the road.
So I guess they are right, they are very unreliable.
Yea, but you fixed it with basic tools....well done.

Old 07-14-2009 | 10:45 PM
Overlanding

Man am I glad to read this thread, I just got a 03 Disco and was crapping my pants a bit after reading threw the forum. I know that the good stuff does not always make it to the forum, but this was very refreshing to read!!

Old 07-15-2009 | 12:20 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Rest assured. It's kind of like driving a train with long travel shocks :P