Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco Rim/Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012 | 02:57 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Disco Rim/Tire Question

Hi Guys, So after my 3rd flat since August it's time to buy a new set of tires...
I'm currently running the stock rims on 2004 Disco SE with Cooper Discoverer P255/55/R18. I purchased these off Craigslist & they came with an extra set of 1996 Range Rover 16" rims (P255/65/R16) with the same lug pattern.
My question is this - Can I interchange these rims so I can run a different tire?
(I personally don't like the look of the 18" Rim, although not sure what the performance difference will be)
Any tire rec's also greatly appreciated.
I don't do much off-roading but do spend as much time in the snow (Albeit East Coast snow, so not much of it the past year but keeping my fingers crossed as it's snowing as I type this!)
I loved my BFG A/T's on my old trucks but it looks like I'll need to invest in a whole new rim if those are the tires I want to buy for my Disco, no?
Thanks

Old 12-26-2012 | 03:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Coopers are junk. 1996 Range rover wheels will fit your DII. How much are the wheels/tires?

Old 12-26-2012 | 03:25 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Thanks!
I got 5-used Coopers for 18" rim and 4 - 16" RR rims for $200. They've served me well & I suppose it was better having 2 nails go thru the crappy Coopers rather than good ones *ha* but it's time to buy some new tires.
I like the way the General Grabbers look (But don't know anything about them performance-wise) I've got an uncle who owns a tire shop but he's 3000 miles away so that's not going to do me much good...

Old 12-26-2012 | 03:31 PM
Camel Trophy

A lot of people like the duratrac, I have BFG M/T KM2s but they're really just an off road tire. I haven't heard much bad about the general grabbers, but I don't think they rank SUPER high. Nitto Terra Grapplers aren't bad for on road and mild off road.

Old 12-26-2012 | 03:41 PM
|
Three Wheeling

I basically need a good road tire and something for the snow when I go upstate/VT to Ski.
You guys getting dumped on by the storm up there yet?

Old 12-26-2012 | 03:57 PM
Camel Trophy

Nope, should start in a few hours apparently. you could probably get some snow tires for the 16s, and then use the 18" tires on your factory wheels during the summer.

Old 12-26-2012 | 04:01 PM
TReK

For highway and snow use you can't beat the Michelin LTX M/S... I have them on 16" rims.

On my 4th winter with them now and I can honestly say these tires will take me farther in the snow and up more steep hills than any previous tires I've had... also just now starting to hydroplane a bit on the freeway but not much.

4 years at $800 for the set comes out to a reasonable $200/year.

They are also quite competent on the forest roads I frequent in better weather.

Worthy of your consideration.

Old 12-26-2012 | 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Nope, should start in a few hours apparently.
I'm visiting some friends in MA right now, and it's going to hit here too. Too bad I'm in a rental and not my Discovery.

Old 12-26-2012 | 06:35 PM
Winching

I run the Goodyear Silent Armor on my disco... Love them,Great Highway stability, noise traction and gas milage Off road I have never gotten into any trouble with grip. I have run them thru sand aired down to 9PSI. with no issue strong sidewall. I had the Dura tracs I loved them but On the east coast I tend to hit the highway and the dura tracs rattled a bit more than I wanted. I have friends with Land Cruisers and Nissans that all have gone to the Silent armor as well. Mud, snow rain pavement. My 2 cents.

Old 12-26-2012 | 09:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by devildollnyc
Thanks!
I got 5-used Coopers for 18" rim and 4 - 16" RR rims for $200. They've served me well & I suppose it was better having 2 nails go thru the crappy Coopers rather than good ones *ha* but it's time to buy some new tires.
I like the way the General Grabbers look (But don't know anything about them performance-wise) I've got an uncle who owns a tire shop but he's 3000 miles away so that's not going to do me much good...
Grabbers are great. Been running them for about 5k miles. Havent put it through deep snow, but for the price point, its a damm good tire. Great traction, looks aggressive, with a 50k treadwear warranty, cant find a better tire.

Quick Reply: Disco Rim/Tire Question