Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco TD5 - Rear Door no longer unlocks from central locking....!? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco TD5 - Rear Door no longer unlocks from central locking....!? Help!

Hi there

I've got a new glitch on the TD5, and wondered if it's something I can fix myself...

In the last week or so, the rear door has stopped unlocking from the central locking - that is to say, either from the unlock from the remote key, or from manually sticking the key in the driver's door and unlocking the car that way.

All other doors unlock as they should.

The rear door can now only be opened by pulling the internal door catch from the inside of the car, so one of the kids needs to be reach over the top of the rear seats, pull the lever and the door catch pops up, so that the door can then be opened from outside - it's a real pain in the rear!

The rear door then locks as it should from the central locking - just doesn't open! I was going to guess at it being a solenoid, but was confused as to why it would lock, but not unlock (surely a duff solenoid simply would lock OR unlock??).

It would be dead useful if someone could identify what part I need to replace to fix the problem - would like to pop to the breakers and then fit it myself if at all possible....

Thanks in advance for any assistance to help get this ****le sorted!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM
4wd Low

Why is n i g g l e - asterisked out??????

Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Because your word n-i-g-g-l-e is really close to a American derogatory term for a black person and this forum is family friendly so all swear words and the like are censored by the mainframe computer.

You need a new door lock actuator, it will lock because it is not totally dead and it has gravity helping it to lock the door.

And here is a tech tip for you, pop the Land Rover emblem off of the cargo door and lube the latch every 6 months to keep it working well, if you dont it will seize and not work until you lube it again.
Lube it more often if you drive dusty roads.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:21 AM
4wd Low

Seriously? That's pretty PC going over the top isn't it....? Jeez. I could understand it rightly blocking out the actual word - but not something that's close it. Doesn't that mean that "sit" should be blocked out for example because it's "pretty close to" sh*t following that logic?

I think I'll give the lubing a go with some plusgas to see if it frees it up before replacing it - thanks for the tip.....

Old 12-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dude I have no idea how the censor program works.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:08 AM
4th Gear
Default Discovery II Central Locking Fault

Looks like you know your stuff.....PLEASE help...... I am experiencing a problem with the central locking. I will describe as fully as possible.
The Vehicle is a 2004 LR Discovery II TD5 Facelift model.
A short time ago, we had a little crash. It didn't render the vehicle un-drivable but did require an insurance claim to deal with the damage to the front of the vehicle. When the vehicle was repaired and returned to us, all seemed fine but soon after we noticed a problem with the locking. As foillows:
1. Locking fron the fob works perfectly
2. Locking at 5mph works perfectly
3. Locking from the dash switch works perfectly
4. Locking from the key works perfectly.
5. Unlocking from the fob, key or switch does not unlock the two rear doors
6. Unlocking from the fob, key or swith works for the two front doors and the tail-gate.

I have checked and re-checked the obvious issues and have concluded that I know nothing about car electrics. Using logic instead of ability in these matters, my opinions are as follows:
1. Cannot be an actuator as both doors malfunctioned at the same time;
2. Cannot be the tiny springs as both doors malfunctioned at the same time;
3. Cannot be a broken wire as both doors malfunctioned at the same time;
4. I have checked the child-locks but it can't be this as it is able to open from the inside using the handle !
I have changed the battery in the fob and have put WD40 in the door latch ???
PLEASE HELP. Unfortunately we have no easy way of getting to a LR Main Dealer as there isn't one within a three hour drive !!!!
I have brought it to a local mechanic who has plugged it into a diagnostic unit and no errors on the central locking are showing up.
Has anyone got any idea what I can do to fix the problem.
Thanks in advance

Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and who cares if it is censored....it's just some sort of tech and doesn't represent the philosophies of anybody....and if it did, so waht....unless we were being slowly subliminally influenced by it as part of Spike's master plan.

but I can say you need a kick in the fanny with no problem.

my rear door doesn't open either. i'm going to inspect it and lube it before i buy the replacement part. i can't get D2 parts from Lincoln so it makes it that much harder.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Frank McG
5. Unlocking from the fob, key or switch does not unlock the two rear doors
6. Unlocking from the fob, key or swith works for the two front doors and the tail-gate.
Isn't 5 & 6 different ways of saying the same thing?
1. Cannot be an actuator as both doors malfunctioned at the same time;
Wrong - it could and probably IS the actuator in both rear doors that are not opening
2. Cannot be the tiny springs as both doors malfunctioned at the same time;
Agree - this is unlikely, but not for the reasons you've stated. It's irrelevant when they were built, otherwise all parts on all makes of cars would fail at the same time!
4. I have checked the child-locks but it can't be this as it is able to open from the inside using the handle !
Agree - this isn't the reason.
I have changed the battery in the fob and have put WD40 in the door latch ???
This won't have changed anything, otherwise none of the doors would have locked / unlocked at all.
I have brought it to a local mechanic who has plugged it into a diagnostic unit and no errors on the central locking are showing up.
This suggests that the actuators have failed. These don't show up on stored and current fault code readers....
Has anyone got any idea what I can do to fix the problem.
Thanks in advance
Door actuators can fail at any time, and to have them go in a pair is probably more likely weather related than anything else. In your initial summary, the pattern of problem is clearly with UNLOCKING as opposed to LOCKING - this is always the case with failing actuators, as it's significantly harder for the actuator to unlock the door than to lock it.

If you can, give it time, as sometimes actuators can free themselves up. I recently had one of the rear doors fail to open on me for about three weeks, but thereafter, freed itself up again and has been working fine ever since (after I'd already got the new actuator ready to fit of course!) - still have the got the spare part ready for whenever the inevitable actually occurs.....

Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
...you need a kick in the fanny...
I agree!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjsdavis
I agree!
so where are you?