Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco two PAS Pump stud broken

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:00 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco two PAS Pump stud broken

just replaced the head gaskets on my 99 discovery and during the rebuild the stud that the pas pump mounts on snapped. Good news: there is still plenty of stud to mount the pump. Bad news: it broke flush with the front side of the pump so i dont have any way of reconnecting the nut. i put everything back together and it fired up with no problems, no codes, and sounds better than ever but went for a drive and my power steering isnt working on hard turns. seems alright on on light curves but feels like a monte carlo on uturns. opinions? ideas? I'm going to take the PAS pump off again this weekend and make sure i put everything else back together correctly and while i'm there i should probably replace that stud. if anyone knows how to do that i could use some advice. preciate it....

Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Do you mean a bolt snapped off, or one of the ears on the housing the pump is bolted to? See attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
pas bracket.pdf (284.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM
7th Gear

buzz...#3 in your pic is the stud that broke. so #2 nut cant spin on anymore...so i need to replace the stud that comes out of the engine....or not if its not
100% necessary. do you know what i need to do to replace that stud ?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It's probably threaded into engine as well, some PB Blaster and a long handle vise grips, if any threads left on it double nut it and use a breaker bar, etc. You'll have to try several methods.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM
7th Gear

thanks for the help Buzz...I was hesitant to crank on it at all not knowing if it was just threaded in. "probably" was sort of what i was operating on too. i'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Mudding

It's fine, the pump will still be located by the stud, and held down by the other bolts, and bracket

Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 PM
7th Gear

yeah took it back apart today and concluded the same thing. The power steering problem isnt due to that nut/stud its the spring loaded valve. I was a bonehead and took it apart out of curiosity and i probably didnt orient it right when i put it back together. does anyone know how its supposed to go in? i have the spring in first and the valve end with one hole facing out toward the nut. If i remember correctly. i feel like that must be it cuz the pump was fine before.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Winching
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You took a perfectly good PS pump apart? Not good.

Sadly, I have a pile of bad PS pumps. You're talking about the valve that the high pressure line connects to? If so, I'll take a look and see if I can find the part you're asking about to confirm how it is oriented...

Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM
7th Gear

Dcarr...yeah not my best idea ever. the whole spring loaded thing sort of threw me. wasnt prepared for parts to fly and therefore couldnt keep track of how they were seated. anyway thanks a lot for taking the time to help. I cant play many more angry birds levels! i need to get out there and put this thing back together!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
7th Gear

and yeah the high pressure line outlet valve is the target

Quick Reply: disco two PAS Pump stud broken